Breaking News! We had great vis today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After a couple weeks of brown water, we didn't have a particular dive plan today. While motoring around on the west side of Palos Verdes we decided to check out the Topaz pilings off Redondo Beach. Our plan was to bounce dive it when we saw the dirty water on the sand. To our great surprise, we could easily see thirty feet vertically and twenty to twenty-five feet horizontally.
Kevin Lee found a new nudibranch, Merry shot macro with my 90mm lens and I attempted to shoot video.
There was a constant southerly current pushing the algae around, so critter shots were tough. Everything at Redondo Beach is small and near the sand. At one point I decided to make it a drift dive. I floated for about fifty feet before I reached the anchor.
After surfacing from our second dive we were greeted by Scott and Margaret Webb and Jim Lyle who took the surface shots.
The thermocline was at eighteen feet, dropping the water temperature to a nice 51° at sixty feet.

NoPressure2.jpg

PhilandMerry.jpg

Is that middle picture the two of you? I would LOVE to have a mental image to connect to your threads!

Very nice video. Thanks for sharing. Amazing what a difference a day can make in the visibility.

nice!!! The landing craft got the same good results today also!! 20ft viz and cold low 50s temps!!

A nice 51 degrees? I can get that at 200 ft... looking for a nice 65-68 this time of year! Oh, and vis would help... but it is getting "better" (20 ft or so) out here after a few days of 5-15 ft.

Great video, great song.

You guys found quite the array of wildlife for the pier pilings. A new nudibranch, octopus, and a horn shark. Sweet dive if you ask me. It's funny how the swell comes in and the conditions improve...hmmm

Sony HDR-HC9 camera in a Ocean Images housing with two 50w lights and a flat port. I used 100w bulbs and a wide angle dome port today. The video was edited using Pinnacle Studio 12.

Excellent vid! Great selection of critters. Looks like Topaz is the place to be right now.

Back
Top Bottom