Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Breaking News! We had great vis today!

Photographer

The ocean is a lousy teacher.
    First you get a test, then a
    lesson.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

Breaking News! We had great vis today!

After a couple weeks of brown water, we didn't have a particular dive plan today. While motoring around on the west side of Palos Verdes we decided to check out the Topaz pilings off Redondo Beach. Our plan was to bounce dive it when we saw the dirty water on the sand. To our great surprise, we could easily see thirty feet vertically and twenty to twenty-five feet horizontally.
    Kevin Lee found a new nudibranch, Merry shot macro with my 90mm lens and I attempted to shoot video.
    There was a constant southerly current pushing the algae around, so critter shots were tough. Everything at Redondo Beach is small and near the sand. At one point I decided to make it a drift dive. I floated for about fifty feet before I reached the anchor.
    After surfacing from our second dive we were greeted by Scott and Margaret Webb and Jim Lyle who took the surface shots.
    The thermocline was at eighteen feet, dropping the water temperature to a nice 51° at sixty feet.

Screw you guys. I'm going diving---Jacques Cartman

Diving the Palos Verdes Peninsula

My Youtube videos

Assimilated Medical Mod

Counting days to CAVEZZZZ!

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Is that middle picture the two of you? I would LOVE to have a mental image to connect to your threads!
    "If something goes tits up, don't count on rising to the occasion. You will fall to what you have truly mastered." (PfcAJ)
    My dive journal can be read here, and a current dive blog HERE
    Okay, you've heard all our opinions. Want to know what the science is? http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/
    www.divematrix.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Very nice video. Thanks for sharing. Amazing what a difference a day can make in the visibility.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    nice!!! The landing craft got the same good results today also!! 20ft viz and cold low 50s temps!!

Registered

Present

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by TSandM View Post
    Is that middle picture the two of you? I would LOVE to have a mental image to connect to your threads!
    That be they.
    Being open-minded should be painful.

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    A nice 51 degrees? I can get that at 200 ft... looking for a nice 65-68 this time of year! Oh, and vis would help... but it is getting "better" (20 ft or so) out here after a few days of 5-15 ft.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Great video, great song.

You guys found quite the array of wildlife for the pier pilings. A new nudibranch, octopus, and a horn shark. Sweet dive if you ask me. It's funny how the swell comes in and the conditions improve...hmmm

Rebreather Pilot

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Nice video! What equipment are you using for video?

Can you send some of that great vis south, please? We had 3-5' on the Hogan yesterday

Photographer

The ocean is a lousy teacher.
    First you get a test, then a
    lesson.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Sony HDR-HC9 camera in a Ocean Images housing with two 50w lights and a flat port. I used 100w bulbs and a wide angle dome port today. The video was edited using Pinnacle Studio 12.
    asha likes this.
    Screw you guys. I'm going diving---Jacques Cartman

Diving the Palos Verdes Peninsula

My Youtube videos

Photographer

Take only Photos, Leave only
    Bubbles

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Excellent vid! Great selection of critters. Looks like Topaz is the place to be right now.
    "The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her"
    "From birth man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. Buoyed by water, he can fly in any direction, up, down, sideways. Underwater man becomes an archangel." Capt. Jacques Yves Cousteau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast