Redondo Beach Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll post updated dive conditions of Redondo Beach on this thread everytime I dive there. Please add reports if you have a report newer than mine. (I was thinking about creating similar threads for a few other spots I dive too...)

Spot: Redondo Beach
Date: 12/5
Entry Time: 8:30 PM
Surf: 1~2ft
Viz: 5ft near the surface, 15ft+ down in the canyon.
Wtr Tmp: low 60's

Viz in the shallow areas was terrible because there were 6 commericial fishing boats harvesting squid close to the pier and shore. I didn't realize that boats as big as these came so close to shore...there was one boat that must have been in an area that was only 20 ft deep.

But, the 2 boats that were REALLY close to shore decided to move to deeper water, when they saw that several groups of divers (including ours) entering the water.

The viz did clear up to about 15ft once we got down to about 30~40ft. It's been a while since I've dived Redondo... I've noticed that this spot is making a comeback since being wiped out by the red tide. The algae growth on the bottom, although not completely gone, is much less dense than it had been.

Except for the squid (that die after mating), the underwater creatures looked much healthier than the last time I dived this spot.

Date: 12/12
Entry Time: 9:00 PM
Surf: 3~4ft., occasional 5 footer.
Viz: 3ft near the surface, 8ft down in the canyon.
Wtr Tmp: low 60's
Max Depth: 71ft.

The wind was blowing directly onto shore, so the surf was barrelling/breaking simultaneously parallel to the shore line, rather than at an angle...which made entry/exit interesting.

The surf had stirred up the bottom, so viz was terrible. I'd hoped that viz would clear up once we got down in the canyon, but no such luck...It was less than 10ft.

Saw only saw 2 small bugs that were way below minimum size. I think the red tide has ruined this spot for them...too bad. I've also spotted 5 or 6 baby halibut, that were smaller than my hand.

We had a sealion tailing (harassing) us the entire time we were in the canyon. My buddy was bumped twice (once on the head, and once on his dive light)...he was mad...I couldn't stop laughing. The bad viz made it difficult for us to stop what direction he would approach us from.

Date: 3/13/04
Entry Time: 8:00PM
Surf: 1~2ft.
Viz: 10ft.
Wtr Tmp: 58
Max Depth: 66ft.

Wow! It's been a while since I've dived Redondo. The surf was small, so the entry/exit was a breeze. The viz wasn't great, but it was OK.

There were lots of rockfish, Rock Crabs, Sheep Crabs down in the canyon. My buddy came up with 2 rock fish.

Date: 3/17/04
Entry Time: 9:10PM
Surf: 1ft.
Viz: 15ft. down in the canyon.
Wtr Tmp: 59
Max Depth: 69ft.

Surf was almost non-existent. Redondo beach looked like Lake Redondo this night.

My buddy's Light Cannon went out (he forgot to recharge his batteries), so he had to switch to his spare. But, viz was decent, so his backup light was good enough to continue the dive.

There were fewer rockfish out this night, than on our weekend dive, but there were lots of Rock Crabs out there.

Diver_Jan:
Did you see any squid??? I will be doing a squid dive there next wednesday night on the 24th. TIA

I am afraid that you're a few months too late too see squid at Redondo. November is when you'll see lots of them.

Back
Top Bottom