Weekend report, Redondo/Palos Verdes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After a much needed day of sleeping in yesterday we fully expected to stay dry this weekend. On Friday, the swell models called for five footers at the Redondo Beach buoy. It was as flat as it has been all year today.

Merry borrowed my macro port to try out Margaret Webb's 105mm lens. Our plan was to look for hatching octopus at the Redondo barge. Each of us had camera issues, so no pictures were taken during the first dive. It didn't matter. We couldn't find a single nest anywhere. Kevin Lee and I swam over to Phil's Reef, where there were not only no nests, but the wolf eel and metridiums were gone as well.

We swam back to the barge, where I spotted two Mola Molas being cleaned. I watched them for a couple of minutes before ascending. Back on the boat, we resolved our camera issues and headed south in search of cleaner water.

Despite Merry's deep hatred for diving the Avalon wreck, we decided to give it a look. Conditions here were as good as I've seen in a long time. Green water, twelve to eighteen feet visibility with some sand particles suspended in the water. It took a lot of effort, but I actually got a few decent shots.

Avalon1-1.jpg

Avalon19.jpg

Avalon15.jpg

Avalon14.jpg

Avalon13.jpg

Avalon12.jpg

Avalon11-1.jpg

Avalon10.jpg

Avalon7-1.jpg

Avalon3.jpg

Avalon4-1.jpg

Avalon5-1.jpg

Avalon16.jpg

Avalon18.jpg

Avalon20.jpg

Avalon9-1.jpg

I completely wrote off diving this weekend after looking at the forecast. I took a hike at Ladera Linda today right before sunset and ML was insanely flat. WTF! :banghead:

Love the wide angle of the schooling perch. Insane color variety. Dig the kelp bass capture as well. Very cool Red Beard sponge find.

Last edited:
What on earth is the black-eyed gobie sitting next to?

What on earth is the black-eyed gobie sitting next to?
[h=4][/h][h=5]Red Beard Sponge, Clathria prolifera[/h]

---------- Post Merged at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:20 PM ----------

I completely wrote off diving this weekend after looking at the forecast. I took a hike at Ladera Linda today right before sunset and ML was insanely flat. WTF! :banghead:

Love the wide angle of the schooling perch. Insane color variety. Dig the kelp bass capture as well. Very cool fire sponge find.
Jon Davies was setting thermographs for the Catalina Marine Society at Pt. Vicente and the Avalon wreck. He reported 25 feet with some current at Pt. Vicente. He said the south side was much nicer than the Avalon. Duh!

---------- Post Merged at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Love the wide angle of the schooling perch. Insane color variety. Dig the kelp bass capture as well. Very cool fire sponge find.
Jon Davies was setting thermographs for the Catalina Marine Society at Pt. Vicente and the Avalon wreck. He reported 25 feet with some current at Pt. Vicente. He said the south side was much nicer than the Avalon. Duh! Reverend Al posted this earlier;

Awesome photos as always! Thanks for your posts! Makes me want to run out and buy a boat!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the information. That is one beautiful organism!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom