Scuba Instructor in Southern CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diamondeve21

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I am thinking about getting certified for scuba diving and from reading here, it seems like the instructor makes a lot of difference. For all you experienced divers out there, I was wondering if anyone know any quality diving agencies and/or instructor in the southern California region LA, Orange County or Inland Empire?

I live in the Inland Empire Ontario/Pomona area but since there might not be many diving instructors in this area, I am willing to go LA or OC.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This question would get a lot more informative responses if it were posted in the SoCal subforum.

However, here are my recommendations:

1. Recreational diving only - Ocean Safari SCUBA in San Gabriel. The shop owner cum course director is a fountain of information. He just doesn't know diving only, but also a great deal of knowledge in diving medicine and other diving things related. The dude used to be a commercial diver/salvage diver so that's probably where a lot of his experience and knowledge came from.

2. Recreational diving with possibility of technical diving later - Hollywood Divers. They are a recreational diving shop with heavy technical diving involvement. I'd dare say that they are probably the biggest tech diving shop in SoCal.

Hi,

I am thinking about getting certified for scuba diving and from reading here, it seems like the instructor makes a lot of difference. For all you experienced divers out there, I was wondering if anyone know any quality diving agencies and/or instructors?

Thanks!

First - Decide who you want before you walk into any store... Pretty much the first instructor that you meet when you walk into a store will end up your dive instructor. Dave N Surf, Pacific Wilderness, and Hollywood Divers all have great instructors. Welcome to PM me for specific names.

There are many, but it is difficult to suggest one without knowing the area in which you live. SoCal is a VERY big place with LOTS of dive shops and instructors.

There are many, but it is difficult to suggest one without knowing the area in which you live. SoCal is a VERY big place with LOTS of dive shops and instructors.

I live in the Inland Empire but I figured there aren't many instructors in this area, I am willing to travel to LA or Orange County.

---------- Post Merged at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:20 AM ----------

This question would get a lot more informative responses if it were posted in the SoCal subforum.

However, here are my recommendations:

1. Recreational diving only - Ocean Safari SCUBA in San Gabriel. The shop owner cum course director is a fountain of information. He just doesn't know diving only, but also a great deal of knowledge in diving medicine and other diving things related. The dude used to be a commercial diver/salvage diver so that's probably where a lot of his experience and knowledge came from.

2. Recreational diving with possibility of technical diving later - Hollywood Divers. They are a recreational diving shop with heavy technical diving involvement. I'd dare say that they are probably the biggest tech diving shop in SoCal.

Thanks! I will check them out!

---------- Post Merged at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:20 AM ----------

+1 for UTD

I may be wrong but from reading the website, it seems like UTD has their own certification right? So its neither PADI or NAUI?

---------- Post Merged at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Thanks!

ECO Dive Center in Culver City/Los Angeles.

Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:58 AM ----------

First - Decide who you want before you walk into any store... Pretty much the first instructor that you meet when you walk into a store will end up your dive instructor. Dave N Surf, Pacific Wilderness, and Hollywood Divers all have great instructors. Welcome to PM me for specific names.

PM sent!

Back
Top Bottom