Owner of dive charter Goby charged with several counts of poaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) law enforcement officials filed dozens of misdemeanor charges in October against a Southern California man, accusing him of violating a series of commercial fishing regulations.
Adam Crawford James, 32, of Winnetka is accused of multiple violations of the Fish and Game Code, including commercial take of lobster without a permit, commercial take of sea urchin without a permit, illegal take of nearshore fish without a permit, failure to complete and submit records of fish taken under a commercial license, the illegal take of several varieties of fish during the closed commercial season and several other serious charges.
During their investigation CDFW wildlife officers received information from the CalTIP hotline that James was attempting to sell commercially caught fish to restaurants without a Receiver’s License. In California, commercial fishermen are permitted to sell their catch directly to restaurants, provided they have a Receiver’s License and complete required documentation of the marine life that is taken. This management tool helps to protect the resource, and ensure sustainable fisheries for years to come.
The investigation revealed that James appeared to be in violation of far more, when evidence of fishing during closed seasons, and taking species that required special permits began to surface.
“Most commercial fishermen are ethical and diligently follow the laws and regulations,” said CDFW Assistant Chief Dan Sforza. “Thanks to the information received from the CalTIP hotline and good, solid police work we were able to file charges.”
The charges were filed with the Santa Monica City Attorney’s office in Oct.
If convicted of these violations in court James could face jail time, fines, loss of his commercial fishing license, community service and other penalties. No court dates have been set.
CalTIP (Californians Turn In Poachers and Polluters) is a confidential secret witness program that encourages the public to provide Fish and Wildlife with factual information leading to the arrest of poachers and polluters.
CalTIP was introduced in California in 1981 in order to give Californians an opportunity to help protect the state’s fish and wildlife resources. The toll free telephone number, (888) 334-2258 operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You do not have to give your name.
Media Contact:
Capt. Rebecca Hartman, CDFW Law Enforcement, (310) 678-4864
Andrew Hughan, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8944

Well, crap, that guy owes me a couple dives. Guess I'll just ask for a refund.

Anyone know any other sixpacks that go out open boat style?

I doubt he'll be able to afford refunds. He's going to be paying a heap in legal fees from the sounds of it.
Maybe you can buy his boat?

I'm surprised they didn't seize his boat. Frankly, the refund I'm owed is because he was supposed to go out opening night but "hurt his back" the night before- I wonder if they DID seize his boat, or at least one of them.

Yeah, I sent her a PM on facebook. They have a good reputation.

Part of why Goby appealed to me was that it was cheap and open boats, and they hit spots that a lot of people don't go to. But being around a guy with DFG charges pending seems like a problem, especially when you're hunting. And, while he's certainly presumed innocent, from the scuttlebutt I heard lately, these charges aren't really a surprise to people in the community who would know.

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 04:28 PM ----------

... so am I a total ass, or does HardCoreDiveTeam seem to have their priorities backward? (they seem to use the Goby a lot so YMMV)

Back
Top Bottom