Another round at Golf Ball Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Kevin Lee joined us for a return visit to Golf Ball Reef. Visibility was down from yesterday and most of the nudibranchs were in hiding but we found enough subjects to keep three sets of strobes firing away. Abalones, serpulids and a few nudis gave us enough subject matter to make the dive interesting. I even found a tiny Calico bass resting on a juvenile sea hare in kelp just below the surface.

GolfBallReef1_zps4465b0b3.jpg

GolfBallReef2_zpsbf9fe5fe.jpg

GolfBallReef5_zps97ab0928.jpg

GolfBallReef4_zps015ae021.jpg

GolfBallReef6_zpscfea830d.jpg

GolfBallReef7_zpsfa2b2143.jpg

GolfBallReef8_zps1e90da60.jpg

GolfBallReef9_zps7503959b.jpg

We ended the day at Merry's Reef. Visibility was not great, but better than our last dive here. Merry even found a huge black sea hare for Kevin. He's been looking for one for quite awhile.

MerrysReef5_zps57cffb86.jpg

MerrysReef6_zps071f3453.jpg

MerrysReef3_zpsdf4cf996.jpg

MerrysReef2_zpsddfb8b2d.jpg

MerrysReef1_zps1c29b4c2.jpg

MerrysReef7_zps9079e13c.jpg

MerrysReef8_zps4becfc48.jpg

MerrysReef4_zpse69c0312.jpg

MerrysReef14_zps785ac74f.jpg

MerrysReef13_zps63b59b53.jpg

MerrysReef12_zpsded8bdec.jpg

MerrysReef9_zps19935698.jpg

MerrysReef10_zps25a80e79.jpg

MerrysReef11_zps5b63d706.jpg

Love the bokeh in the Mexichromis (I think it's a Mexichromis) photo!

ALL of those colorful fish make the area seem like you are diving in the tropics. After all cold water doesn't have much to see :wink:

What kind of abalone was that? My guess would be a Pinto? (We find a lot of Pinto abalone in Mendocino County)

WOWZERS :shocked2: Stunning Captures! Excellent variety of subjects! Are the first two shots of a Rockpool Blenny? If so, where are his cirri "whisker-like antlers"?
[h=2][/h]

They are Bay gobies.

Thanks for the id. I don't think I have ever encountered them before. I knew they didn't quite fit the bill to be a Blenny, but they have similar facial structures.

What a cool collection P&M and K.L.!! Some of the best dive wonders around, Love the Zebra Goby, rare find! Not sure on that Ronquil call Albo, seems a little too far South??? But stranger things have happened, water IS a Wonder??? I too believe it's a Blenny of a sort?? Not all Blennies have 'horns"... those lips are unique???

Be Safe Out There!

Last edited:
Love the baby ab!

Back
Top Bottom