Uncommon, unexpected, and irresistible.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I sure got a kick out of these subjects - most were found at Golf Ball Reef (Palos Verdes Peninsula).

Presenting all three species of our coastal fringeheads:
Onespot fringehead snapping up a shrimp.
Onespotfringeheadeatingshrimpcropped2XDSC_4711_zps0fc9fdb0.jpg

Yellowfin fringehead (barge)
Yellowfinfringehead2br690DSC_4260_zps84e3b905.jpg

Yellowfinfringehead690DSC_4053_zps28c4eb1a.jpg

Yellowfin fringehead (crane)
YellowfinfringeheadcraneDSC_4320_zpsffe4ef43.jpg

Sarcastic fringehead
Sarcasticfringehead2DSC_4698_zpsd9f3eeb7.jpg

Coralline sculpin
CorallinesculpinDSC_4776_zps922b7c80.jpg

Heptacarpus franciscanus male (ID thanks to Greg Jensen and Kevin Lee) Females are solid red, which effectively conceals developing eggs under her carapace.
Heptacarpusfranciscanusmale2DSC_4790_zps09b4ba27.jpg

Heptacarpus franciscanus males
HeptacarpusfranciscanusthreemalesDSC_4791_zps6b594ea9.jpg

Kevin found this cryptic Rostanga pulchra. Its color and texture beautifully matches the sponge food source. Try looking for them on red sponges and you'll be thrilled if you find one.
Rostangpulchrafromjpg800DSC_4767_zps8ee29a2b.jpg

Rostangapulchra2DSC_4772_zpsa4200e3c.jpg

Phil and Kevin pointed out these tiny amphipod kelp curlers.
kelpcurlersDSC_4659_zps0e2d8106.jpg

KelpcurlerDSC_4657_zps4d7b9a37.jpg

Lamellaria diegensis. This is sort of an inside-out snail. Part of the body remains outside the shell. ID thanks to Kevin Lee.
LamellariaDSC_4536_zpsf65f09bb.jpg

Don't know which species of lamellarid this is. The body resembles a white tunicate and part of the shell is visible.
Lamellariasp690DSC_4787_zps6995120f.jpg

Last edited:
I believe your second Lamellaria is Marsenina stearnsi.
Female
Heptacarpus franciscanus. Notice the solid plates covering the abdomen, thought to be used for concealing eggs.
GolfBallReef12_zps92582c63.jpg

Last edited:
So much fun, the heptacarpus pictures! I'm not certain, but I think we have them here, and if the females are FULL of eggs, you can still see them. When I get home, I'll look for the photograph I got of a gravid one.

Would love to see your photo, Lynne.

Shrimp drive me nuts. So tough to photograph, plus identification can be a challenge because of their color morphs. If that wasn't enough, some of the little rascals can actually change color.

Hot off the press is Gregory C. Jensen's book, "Crabs and Shrimps of the Pacific Coast", available on Amazon. Two-hundred and forty pages, color photos, loaded with info and new species...thank goodness. Also includes an e-guide on CD.

Yes, they are frustrating -- so quick and skittish, too! I tend to lump shrimp into "coonstriped, horned, and other".

Once again, incredible macro shots.

The "action" shot of the fringehead and shrimp is bad ass!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom