La Jolla Shores Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The forecast has been frightening for socal this week due, I'm assuming, to the storms we had last weekend/whatever the ocean's washing in. Well, my buddy and I decided to meet up at 6AM today to see how it looked and hope to dive anyway. It didn't really look bad at all with maybe 2' breaking at the surf zone and it was low tide. So we decided to go for it!

Having accidentally not changed out the 5mm from diving in Florida 2 weeks ago in my dive bag for the 7mm, I got to dive in a 5mm today - brrrr! Luckily, it was a toasty 60ºF, with somehow a bone-chilling 59ºF at a slight thermocline at ~60fsw. Why does one degree make such a difference? Viz was the usual - you'll see in my pics. The ones I'm not posting were super extra terrible because viz turned all particulate-y after about 5mins into the dive, for a couple minutes, but then cleared up again. We dropped just north of the point because of how the waves were coming in (we got moved north a little) so we traveled South on our dive along the wall, and just headed back in when I hit the halfway point on my tanks. I was glad to turn back. So the dive was 48mins, ave depth 38fsw and max 66fsw. (I didn't want to go deeper because brrr!)

Sorry the pictures are blurry again - 1/3 me, 1/3 viz and surge, 1/3 maybe I need to empty my wallet on strobes or something, because clearly I'm not spending enough on scuba yet/again.

Octo-

No idea.. these were all over the place today

And right after I took that pic, my buddy wanted me to follow him to look at something, and it turned out to be a nice big angel shark!

As were these, but I couldn't get any good pics of them. Small red fish with blue heads and some blue I think stripes on them?

And a couple of these

Buddy found the eel he calls "Tim" in his usual hidey-hole

And right above, a sheepshead crab

At the very end at the top of the point, I see this big yellow spot..

It was a beefy 2X the size of my thumb! There were more smaller ones a little further down but those pics turned out awful-er.

(edit: it's a lemon dorid!)

Is this a sarcastic fringehead?

Thankfully, I hit 1500psi on my 3kpsi tanks, so we turned. Buddy found a nice glass bottle to add to other stuff he found earlier (sheet of something, maybe plastic paneling or something?)

Buddy found a baby octo on a rock apparently, and while I couldn't tell what he was looking at because of the viz and surge, right next to it I saw this crab run by

Coming back in, the view at maybe something like 20'

at 15' big bed of sand dollars

And finally, at the showers, buddy found a nice snail :)

.. and I've pulled out the 7mm for the boat dives tomorrow.

Last edited:
you diving the shores or cove this sunday or monday......my hubby are looking to do our first shore dive

Sorry, on a dive boat Sunday and work Monday morning.

The shores isn't usually too rough an entrance/exit, and there's usually TONS of classes being taught out of there so definitely arrive early to secure parking. But, since so many people will be there, you can watch them do entries/exits and ask how they're doing them, or even ask if you can join people who aren't in classes - it's a pretty busy spot. I'd go there first to get a feel for it. With the cove, it's a rougher entrance/exit point - entrance is usually OK, but exit can be tough.

Nice report! ;-)
Sheep crab (no head), I think the fish you were seeing a lot of are lizard fish. Yes, sarcastic fringehead. The blue one is likely a goby,but not sure. Also, I think the nudibranch is a lemon dorid.

I've found that as you lose sight of sunlight, there it's a psychological cooling that takes place.

The small white fish is a black eye goby, the second is a skate (not an angel shark) and the third is a blue banded goby.

Thanks!

What about this one?
P3220088.jpg

Nice report! ;-)
Sheep crab (no head), I think the fish you were seeing a lot of are lizard fish. Yes, sarcastic fringehead. The blue one is likely a goby,but not sure. Also, I think the nudibranch is a lemon dorid.

I've found that as you lose sight of sunlight, there it's a psychological cooling that takes place.

Thanks!

Looks like the same fish.

Ah, thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom