Barry Friedman of Sea d Sea Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyberdee

New
Reaction score
This is one of those things that we all hate to hear...Barry passed away last Thursday. There is going to be a celebration of life and his wife Nancy says all are welcome. It will be Thursday evening March 13th at Rice Morturary 5310 Torrance Blvd in Redondo from 5-7pm. This will not be a memorial type thingy....Barry didn't like depressing stuff. Just a time for friends, customers, and past students to have a bite to eat and tell stories. Barry has been a part of my life since 1982...Im really going to miss him.:(

Very Sad News...

I first met Barry when he was enrolled in the LA Co UICC (underwater instructor certification course) in 1968 and I was a "Dive Master" in the course for OC candidates - ( Now you know where the term Dive Master originated)

Good gosh 46 years ago!

I also recall a year or so later when he purchased See D sea. What a career he carved out for him self in that small shop.
What a gift he was to the diving world,

SDM

Sorry to hear this news. Barry was my instructor for many courses and I was on open water dives many weekends. Judith and I lived
in Redondo Beach on the Esplanade Good Man gone-RIP Barry.

Seems like just a little while ago he sold the shop right?....He must have known something we didn't.:idk:

Very sad indeed, Barry's was the cool alternative shop around the South Bay, spent a few Sunday afternoons gettin' fills and eatin' pizza out back, end of an era...

Very sad indeed, Barry's was the cool alternative shop around the South Bay, spent a few Sunday afternoons gettin' fills and eatin' pizza out back, end of an era...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is indeed end of an era..

From my post when Barry closed Sea D Sea== a little history lesson

Sea D Sea should be, but won't be, listed as a "Historical Diving location" a dive shop in one location for 60 years

Mel Fisher,(LA Co UW Instructor) opened the Catalina Street shop in December, 1953 as Mel's Aqua Shop. Mel & Delo ran it until he got gold fever.

The shop was purchased by Ed Marquand & Richard Pasker (LA Co UW Instructors) in the mid 1960s they ran it for several years. Ed's wife passed away, he moved out of the area and sold is interest to his partner Richard who ran it for a short time

Richard Pasker sold it to Barry (LA Co UW Instructor) in 1969- 44 years ago. Barry had moved from New York, discovered diving and proceeded to complete the certainly prestigious and very demanding LA County Underwater Instructors program in the late 1960s. The shop has the distinction as one of the few shops always owned and operated by LA Co Certified UW instructors.

Around that time john Gaffney organized the local shops and dive instructors concurrently began publishing his magazines. Barry evidently also joined NASDS..

SDM

Barry was a big time NASDS store-Scubapro , Bailey suits, full retail-also full service.

Sea D Sea was my local store. Lots of fun dives.

Oh damn, this thing hits me like a stone. I certified through Barry's shop a few years back. Though he was no longer an instructor, he still was my mentor on many things diving.

He was my local shop as well. Only knew Barry since 2008. Was a great guy to talk with.
Will miss him and his shop. As Sam Miller said above "It is indeed end of an era.."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom