Become a citizen scientist! Get trained with Reef Check!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Divers,

Have you often wondered how to identify all those rockfish and abalone species? Have you ever wanted to be a marine biologist? Are you interested in collecting data on our local rocky reefs and getting a little more out of your dives? If so, Reef Check California may be the perfect fit for you! We have recently announced our 2014 training dates and we are looking for dedicated divers to join the Reef Check team to help us accomplish our ambitious 2014 survey goals. We invite you to join us for the fun. Participants will learn about our local ecosystems/critters, will learn how to use their new set of survey gear and will be able to participate in our regular survey dives which will ultimately help improve marine management by providing much needed data.

Here's your chance to be part of a team of like-minded divers that are collecting real data that will be used by decision makers. Some of you may be familiar with Reef Check California (RCCA). Very briefly, we rely on specially trained volunteer divers (aka Citizen Scientists) from around the state to assist with unbiased scientific data collection of California’s rocky reefs. We then pass along this data to resource managers so they can determine the best methods of managing our ocean resources. (To find out more about our sites or our data, please check out Reef Check California - Saving Reefs Worldwide).

To date, Reef Check California has trained and certified over 1000 volunteer divers comprised of a diverse group of ocean users. Last year we completed 70 surveys at 63 sites along the coast, from Humboldt County to San Diego. We dive a lot during the survey season!

2014 Southern California Training dates:
• Santa Barbara/SLO: April 26-27 (classroom and pool) and May 17-18 (overnight boat dives on the Peace)
• Los Angeles Training: May 3-4 (classroom and pool) and May 17-18 (overnight boat dives on the Peace)
• Orange County Training: June 21-22 (classroom and pool) and June 28-29 (overnight boat dives on the Magician)
• San Diego Training: July 12-13 (classroom and pool) and July 26-27 (day trips on the Lois Ann)

To sign up for a training, please check out this page: Reef Check California Training Schedule.

The trainings take place over two weekends and the first weekend consists of classroom and pool activities. The second weekend consists of 6 dives over two days. You will become very familiar with many of California’s marine species of fish, invertebrates and seaweed. All training materials (transect, data slate, compass, calipers, manual, field guide flash cards), boat costs and NAUI specialty certification cards are included in the training. Survey dives take place statewide, with local boat and beach dives taking place a few times per month during survey season. Prospective divers need to have over 30 lifetime dives with 15 dives taking place in California or other locations with water temps under 68° F.

If you have any questions about the project or need more details about the training, please don’t hesitate to contact me. You can check our website for more information on course specifics, prerequisites and exactly what’s included in the training here: Reef Check California Training Course Outline Spring-Summer 2008. Also, if you’d like to know what it’s like to be a Reef Check volunteer diver, I can put you in touch with a local volunteer or two and they can tell you about their experiences. I have heard from several volunteers that their diving has never been the same after becoming a Reef Check volunteer! I hope to meet you at an upcoming training!

Thanks again and safe diving,

Colleen

Good to see you are still running things there Colleen! You are a BOSS!!!
By the way, did you ever trade that 10mm urchin suit in on a dry suit? :D

For those considering working with RC, all I can say is DO IT! You wont regret it.
I no longer dive, but working with REEF CHECK was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. If you are a diver that is concerned about the state of our oceans and want to do something to help, this is a great way to get involved. It's an exciting challenge, it changed the nature of my diving, and made me a better diver. Every single person that I met that either worked or volunteered with RF was dedicated and enthusiastic...the best dive buddies you will ever have!

DO IT!!!!!!!

This is me with HBDiveGirl doin' the Reef Check thang (photo by Ken Kopp)

Attachments

• RobDettesml.jpg
    RobDettesml.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 78
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom