Marine Room 03/22/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So we went for a dive this morning at Marine Room. Going through a gear check, I had one first stage randomly leak a lot when I hooked it up and turned on my air (normally I'm in double sidemount 40s), so I gave up on doubles and just went with a single. Buddies tried to offer me a second bottle in the form of a 30 if it was my tank, and/or their regs, but ... if it's shallow, why not just 40cuft. (The scuba shop afterwards told me it was the O-ring between my first stage and the SPG hose/connection. Guess what I'm buying next..)

Anyway, so we swam and swam and swam trying to find the kelp. It was low tide, so we surface swam out West to 9' deep, and hung a left to kick South for a while. Dive buddy finally found the kelp, and a sheep crab, so we went under. Average depth was 5' on this dive, max 11', and a nice toasty 64ºF that shallow. At 39 minutes long, I think we're champions because it was a rough dive - the surge was pretty strong so staying down was a losing battle. Even with extra weight it was still hard. Anyway, here's what we saw:

Swimming out still

Oh, and it was pretty easy getting in today - occasionally a 1' nearly powerless wave.

Here's that crab at our drop point

And these fish were everywhere. Behind me in a school. Staring at me from in front (why?! are you going to bite me? Do I look like food? I don't get it!), and at my sides too.

Not sure - are these blacksmith?

More staring

and swimming with me

Saw some garibaldi on this dive too

lots of the grassy stuff too

juvie garibaldi

not so juvi garibaldi and a buddy

why are they staring at me?

at least this one had the decency to not stare me down

this one actually looked pretty ferocious

they were literally swimming right with my face

OH! and I think this might be an angel shark but I'm not sure. Buddy found it
icosm14.gif

Some sort of very well camouflaged kelpfish

and of course, a creepy lobster

even underneath me in all of 5-6' of water

Ok, so these are kind of garibaldi shaped but black - what are they?

Guessing this is another bass?

And then we turned, viz went to pot, and the surge was killing my feet trying to keep them off the surface because we were at 4' max depth. Maybe that's why it's a snorkeling spot..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom