Marine Room 04/12/14 - Sharks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It was a gorgeous morning for a dive today! We had a 60ºF Dive in average 8fsw, max 16fsw for 1:04. Viz was... well 15' maybe? You'll see in the pics.

Here's the view:

Down under, the usual suspects - bass staring me down

and up

A school of something that didn't want to get close enough for me to get any good shots through the viz

Some sort of pipe fish school?

Garibaldi here

and there

sometimes they pretend to be startled when I catch them trying to stare my face down

And I finally got a halfway decent pic of a kelpfish!

and guess who!

a horn shark!

Scorpionfish

and then my buddy starts pointing... what?? OH!

and his buddy.. I guess they were swimming with each other for a while. Mating season maybe?

Not sure if this video works, but I'll give it a try-- short video of a horn shark

Another kelpfish

my buddy

Sargo

Rubberlip Seaperch

Bunch of lobster hiding here and there

Some stripey small fish

Banded Guitar Fish

Last edited:
And another shark! Not sure if this is the first one I saw still circling or another one. I thought it might have been a leopard because viz was so bad, but it looks like a horn shark.

Another Banded Guitar Fish!

Surge makes for sideways fish

Last but not least, some abalone too (with a lobster friend)

Last edited:
Great Series, love the topside shots too! For starters the barred fish is a Sargo(Anisotremus davidsonii), the next is a Rubberlip Seaperch(Rhacochilus toxotes), and perhaps the pelagic school in the distance may be White Seabass?? rarely encountered on SCUBA gear as they're very shy(hate bubbles), but though there's no view of the double dorsal fins?? How big did they seem??...the "Skate" is a Banded Guitar Fish(Zapteryx exasperata)

Last edited:
Great Series, love the topside shots too! For starters the barred fish is a Sargo, the next is a Rubberlip Seaperch(Rhacochilus toxotes), the pelagic school in the distance may be White Seabass?? rarely encountered on SCUBA gear as they're very shy(hate bubbles), though there's no view of the double dorsal fins?? How big did they seem?? The "skate" is a Banded Guitar Fish...

Oh thanks! Yeah and people were asking if the guitarfish were still out, but I'm still pretty confused about differentiating everything but batrays, haha! But in that case I'm pretty surprised because I got a foot or two away from those guitarfish and they didn't spook - I'm used to them taking off the second you even see them.

The school... the fish were (and I'm bad at estimating sizes of things) about a foot long? They were really shy... that's my best shot of them because that's the closest they let me get. There were 20-30 fish in that school from what I could see - might have been more because the viz got a little milky where they were hanging out.

Here's the hornshark vid link because it doesn't seem to want to load on here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwRB1WtdNwA

What is in this image??? A glimpse of a bsb maybe or am I just trying to be optimistic??? Or is it just a ray or a rock ; )

The small striped fish may be juvenile rock wrasse

What is in this image??? A glimpse of a bsb maybe or am I just trying to be optimistic??? Or is it just a ray or a rock ; )

There was a fish... the viz ate it. That blob is some kelp/rocks hanging out on the bottom. I figured I'd upload all my pics this time instead of just the good ones :p

---------- Post added April 13th, 2014 at 09:07 AM ----------

The small striped fish may be juvenile rock wrasse

Oh, hmm there were a lot of what I'm assuming are baby fish (instead of just small ones) in the area so that's a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom