best novice dive for afternoons in san diego?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amitya78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hubby and I will be in san Diego for the weekend on June 7-8. We are looking to dive the afternoon of the 7th after we arrive in san Diego. what are some good recommendations for guided dives in the san Diego area for the afternoon? google listed a few sites but the guided dives listed on the sites are in the mornings. we are looking for something early afternoon. any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Amity

Boat dives are my preference. try the "Marissa" , "Waterhorse charters", or "Power Scuba".

Good Divin,
SoCalRich

If you want a nice easy dive, try La Jolla shores. the surf is minimal, smooth bottom, easy all around. There isnt much to see until you get out to the wall and even then there sometimes isnt much, but it is a good easy dive. If you want to see more go to La Jolla cove, sometimes it gets a lil tricky getting in and out, but there are kelp beds and a lot more life there.

If you want a nice easy dive, try La Jolla shores. the surf is minimal, smooth bottom, easy all around. There isnt much to see until you get out to the wall and even then there sometimes isnt much, but it is a good easy dive. If you want to see more go to La Jolla cove, sometimes it gets a lil tricky getting in and out, but there are kelp beds and a lot more life there.

And good luck with the parking.

And good luck with the parking.

The Parking is dreadful at the cove, but very easy at the Shores, and once you get to the wall there is actually a lot to see, at Vallecitos Point there is usually a Wolf Eel , and on the wall usually various Nudi's, I've also seen the biggest damn Jelly there (see picture) ! its definitely a slow down and look dive, but its easy, cheap and one of my faves, also perfect for new divers, line up with the palm trees behind the lawn/condo's, kick out until the end of the pier lines up with the set of Palm Trees way up on the hill, then drop down take a west heading until you drop over the wall, cruise the wall until your predetermined turn around time, take an East Heading until you are in about 6-8 ft of water, that's about all the guidance you need! : ) friedegg.jpg

A very early morning dive @ La Jolla cove will give you parking, kelp, and critters, a shower at the end.

The Parking is dreadful at the cove, but very easy at the Shores, and once you get to the wall there is actually a lot to see, at Vallecitos Point there is usually a Wolf Eel , and on the wall usually various Nudi's, I've also seen the biggest damn Jelly there (see picture) ! its definitely a slow down and look dive, but its easy, cheap and one of my faves, also perfect for new divers, line up with the palm trees behind the lawn/condo's, kick out until the end of the pier lines up with the set of Palm Trees way up on the hill, then drop down take a west heading until you drop over the wall, cruise the wall until your predetermined turn around time, take an East Heading until you are in about 6-8 ft of water, that's about all the guidance you need! : )View attachment 183125

Lions Mane Jelly?

the surf is minimal

Very dependent on the day. Have been there with ankle slappers, have been there with 6 crushing walls of water. Check NOAA buoy data and/or Scripps Pier Cam for forecasts/conditions.

I'd note that if you need a guide, our diving might not be for you. It's certainly challenging if you're a vacation diver. Cold, dark, low viz, surf zones, currents, surge, etc. Worth considering at least... here's the cam link:

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/piercam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom