Number One in my heart, and now Number One in my logbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've had a lot of dive buddies over the years. My late wife Marilyn and I were certified together and made 626 dives together. Before I met Merry at Marineland in 2006 there was no other buddy within 500 dives of Marilyn. This morning, Merry become my Number One dive buddy, making our 627th dive together.

Merry had forty dives when we met. She had lots of overpriced equipment hawked on her by her instructor and was still a bit raw, but was willing to brave the rocks and waves at Marineland to dive with me. She is now comfortable enough to dive solo several miles offshore, getting photos that have long since surpassed the quality of my own.

SV500001-1_zpsc1c0e66e.jpg

Marineland Merry, 2006

Picture007_zpsfd4b4229.jpg

Scientist Merry collecting samples

IMG_0233_zps879fcf96.jpg

The good old Marineland days

DSCF0220_zps9052d4b2.jpg

Whale Watch Merry discussing marine mammals with John Olguin

RedondoBarge9-3-14_zps92b3afb8.jpg

Mola Mola Merry

Merryontheline_edited-1_zpsce020d10.jpg

Kicking Back Merry

We made dive number 626 at Golf Ball Reef. I checked out the "shipwreck" I found last week. It's an iron hull that barely breaks the sand with fiberglass extending from its ribs.

GBR1_zps6881def3.jpg

GBR3_zps8649ebab.jpg

GBR2_zps580241e9.jpg

Kevin had a Giant Sea Bass swim by him, while Merry had the thrill of a visitor from the south. A lone barrracuda, larger and thicker than the slender California barracuda swam by, soon followed by a school of California barracuda. I found a rock.

GBR8_zpsb2d1b122.jpg

GBR7_zps89e58d0c.jpg

GBR6_zps39fb1642.jpg

GBR4_zpsf1528657.jpg

GBR5_zpsad584aa5.jpg

GBR11_zps31daeec3.jpg

GBR10_zps13a110d3.jpg

Felimare californiensis, formerly known as Hypselodoris californiensis was last found on the mainland in 1980. It had only been found at Catalina and Santa Cruz Islands until Mary Goldman found one near Haggerty's off Palos Verdes on January 15, 2014. We made our second dive in the area only to find heavy surge, poor visibility and little interesting life. Forty-five minutes into the dive, Kevin Lee spotted two Felimares on a gray sponge. I was very happy that Merry's record breaking dive was not the dud it was turning out to be.

Haggertys2_zpsb4db43bf.jpg

Haggertys3_zps6771ef01.jpg

Haggertys1_zps7636f626.jpg

Haggertys5_zpsd9d0659b.jpg

Haggertys4_zps38b03f36.jpg

Haggertys7_zps5a15f137.jpg

Haggertys6_zps1e2a57da.jpg

My hope is that by the time I make dive number 1000 with Merry I can get a photo that rivals some of hers.

Congrats to both of you on this happy occasion! Nice Felimare find. What kind of snail is in #17 & 18 shots?

Congratulations to both of you!

... A wonderful tribute to someone who is special to you. Thanks for sharing.

dd

Love the photo of her "kicking back".

What a lovely tribute!

Nice to see what Kevin was yelling at us about yesterday... over the compressor noise on the Giant Stride, I heard 'hypse-something-something' and just nodded my head like I knew why that was exciting but I had no idea what he was going on about ;P Always fun to see you folks out on the water though!

No_Pressure_at_the_Landing_craft2.jpg

That was us. We tried diving earlier to beat the wind. Kevin said he would get to the boat at 5:30 next weekend. We'll see. :sleeping:

As has been said (but I'll say it again), congratulations to the two of you. I hope some day I'll meet someone who can tolerate me for 1,000 dives! Tee hee.

Back
Top Bottom