Water Temps- San Miguel, Santa Rosa Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone go out to the northern islands this past weekend? I'm curious if our warmer than normal Catalina and coastal temps have made it up that way. Trying to decide wet or dry for a two day trip this coming weekend.

Anacapa was toasty warm on the surface yesterday - high 60s to low 70s, but on one dive we had low 60s on a thermocline. Otherwise mid-60s for not-too-deep dives. It was quite chilly, and I was glad I was diving dry. I was still quite comfortable after 4 dives, but the hot tub on the Peace wasn't too crowded at the end of diving. Air temperature is a lot cooler at the coast today than over the weekend, and the sun still hasn't come out yet today

I am going on a 1.5-days trip to San Miguel on the Peace this upcoming weekend, and I am planning on diving wet. It's middle of July. How cold can it be?

Thanks Geoff.

JT, a couple years ago we had low 50's, and no sun during the day so it can be chilly.

I am going on a 1.5-days trip to San Miguel on the Peace this upcoming weekend, and I am planning on diving wet. It's middle of July. How cold can it be?
I'm on this coming W/E trip as well --for both the Fri to Sat Charter to San Nicolas Island/Begg Rock with the Sea Divers & Channel Islands Dive Assoc groups, and on Sunday with Ocean Safari to the San Miguel Island Pinnacles (Richardson Rock, Wilson Rock, Boomerang Bank & Skyscraper). Bringing X-Scooter, double AL80's & an AL80 deco of O2; two drysuits & change of undergarments; and maybe a P & S Camera. . .

No question that diving San Miguel, in the path of the California Current, can be a chilly place at times. Of course I've never once dived it dry despite temps in the low 50s at times. No current temperature info though.

Cold to me is 48-F at the front side of San Miguel in deep winter. Low 50s? No problem.

---------- Post added July 15th, 2014 at 10:32 PM ----------

I'm on this coming W/E trip as well --for both the Fri to Sat Charter to San Nicolas Island/Begg Rock with the Sea Divers & Channel Islands Dive Assoc groups, and on Sunday with Ocean Safari to the San Miguel Island Pinnacles (Richardson Rock, Wilson Rock, Boomerang Bank & Skyscraper). Bringing X-Scooter, double AL80's & an AL80 deco of O2; two drysuits & change of undergarments; and maybe a P & S Camera. . .

Good luck with San Nick and Begg Rock. Hopefully you guys can make it out there. I have yet to be able to hit that destination. Mother Nature was a bitch every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom