Diving in the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach/La Jolla Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfox007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for a good LDS or dive boat operator that does group dives in the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach/La Jolla area? I head out to the Mission Beach area quite often, but have yet to dive out there. I only have a handful of dives under my belt, and most have been in lakes with vis at about 10-15ft. I once did SNUBA in Cozumel, but I don't count that.

I haven't been diving in over a year, and will be doing a refresher with an LDS here in AZ this weekend. I hope to get a few dives under my belt here before I head back to San Diego at the end of August or early September.

Any recommendations on an operation??

I am only PADI OW, but may be going after my AOW cert prior to my SD trip.

Thanks!!!

- Mike

Diving off San Diego may be very different than you are used to. It is cold water, even in the summer. There can also be a good bit of current, depending on dive site. Vis can be a bit challenging too. I have seen anywhere between 0'-50'.

I would recommend a shore dive in La Jolla for starters. If you are looking for a boat, check out Marissa. Avoid the wrecks for now, as they are generally a bit deeper.

If you are used to Lake Pleasant, SD will be VERY different.

Power Scuba is awesome. They arrange weekly meetups and schedule frequent boat trips. If you go to SD often you should definitely check them out.

Diving off San Diego may be very different than you are used to. It is cold water, even in the summer. There can also be a good bit of current, depending on dive site. Vis can be a bit challenging too. I have seen anywhere between 0'-50'.

I would recommend a shore dive in La Jolla for starters. If you are looking for a boat, check out Marissa. Avoid the wrecks for now, as they are generally a bit deeper.

If you are used to Lake Pleasant, SD will be VERY different.

Power Scuba is awesome. They arrange weekly meetups and schedule frequent boat trips. If you go to SD often you should definitely check them out.

Thanks!!

Yes, Pleasant is my usual spot. I'm heading to Costa Rica in November, and want to get as many dives under my belt (In various water conditions) as I can.

Diving in SD may also be different than you are used to in that if you want a guide you have to hire one. When diving off of a boat do not expect that you will have any guide. Unless you make prior arrangements to hire a guide, you are on your own.

Another good site is divebums.com.

La Jolla Cove, early morning dive, before the crowds, one of the best beach dives in SD.

Thank you guys!

I took my 18th month old to the "Children's Pool" in La Jolla, and noticed how clear the water was from the beach.

Thank you guys!

I took my 18th month old to the "Children's Pool" in La Jolla, and noticed how clear the water was from the beach.

Yes, Mike. Children's Pool entry can give you access to a very nice, if somewhat shallow, dive site. It's a shame the City of San Diego is trying, right now as I write this, to close human access to this beach area in favor of a zoo for the non-endangered harbor seal population.

Bill

Yes, Mike. Children's Pool entry can give you access to a very nice, if somewhat shallow, dive site. It's a shame the City of San Diego is trying, right now as I write this, to close human access to this beach area in favor of a zoo for the non-endangered harbor seal population.

Bill

Is that what all that construction was at the top of the stairs?

No. I think they're rebuilding the bathrooms and lifeguard tower there... which is a bit ironic in view of their efforts to stop humans from going on the beach there.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom