The sea is still flat, but the visibility is still bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Despite two weeks of low surf the visibility around Palos Verdes continues to aggravate us. The top twenty feet was clear again today but quickly turned sour as we descended. We made one dive at Golf Ball Reef before moving to the Redondo Barge. We hoped the gravel bottom there would give us better visibility, but it wasn't to be.
It seemed like going home again after all those dives at Golf Ball Reef. I found nudibranchs that are common elsewhere but not found on GBR. Kevin Lee made the find of the day. I saw his strobes firing away out in the sand and went over to investigate. He had the largest Acanthodoris rhodoceras I had ever seen.
We surfaced in time to see lightning around us so we headed for cover. The quick downpour on the way in cooled us off and helped wash our gear as well.
Next weekend is the start of the Great Giant Sea Bass Count so we need a huge improvement in the visibility. I need to find a rabbit's foot right away.

Barge3_zps32985fa8.jpg

Barge2_zpsf6c78abc.jpg

Barge4_zpsca01f9bf.jpg

Barge5_zps8cd21900.jpg

Barge6_zps9037acc7.jpg

GBR7_zps92e50ece.jpg

GBR8_zps37145d45.jpg

GBR5_zps87d089b6.jpg

GBR4_zps74f3a018.jpg

GBR2_zps77ad0369.jpg

GBR3_zps5536a874.jpg

Much better to have poor viz and create gorgeous photographs, like you did, rather than having outrageous viz and unsynced strobes, like I did today . . .

The lightning didn't affect you over there, Phil and Merry (and Kevin)? It was pretty serious for a while out here on the island starting about Noon. Someone said there is another monsoon thunderstorm due this morning.

We were having lunch after our second dive when we heard a thunderclap. We quickly made out way back to dry land, but not before seeing a long lightning bolt shoot from the ocean up to the lone gray cloud. That cloud followed us in, as we didn't have to wash our gear yesterday. :)

That first shot of the Acanthodoris rhodoceras on shell is stunning! Love the closeup on the juvi Cabezon as well. Excellent series!

Back
Top Bottom