Marine Room 08/02/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Woke up this morning and it seemed pretty gloomy.. little would I know that later it would actually rain all afternoon long! Usually it doesn't rain past March, so this is a bit unseasonable. In any case, the dive site was overcast from when we showed up til we packed up our gear and took off... but the dive was amazing! We saw 3 types of sharks (horn, leopard - my first!!, and the tail end of something traveling quickly that my buddy told me was a thresher), a small giant kelpfish, lots of schools of tons of baby fish, a sheepshead that I swear followed us for most of the dive, and of course the usual suspects (less any guitarfish/skates.. just a couple round rays). Today's dive was ~1:20, temp was 71 with spots of 69ºF, and depths (because we hit low tide) 15fsw max, 8fsw average. Oh, and I found some sunglasses and left them in the spot that divers put treasures they find while diving on exit. Here's what we saw!

On entry, in about 4ish feet of water, we picked up a little school - they followed us in to a seagrass patch, and hopefully didn't get eaten (buddy said he saw fish jumping there as we swam further :shocked2:)

buddy found a tail.. and that sheephead still following me too

it was missing it's tail though.. I wonder what happened and if it'll be ok

Ok, so these guys mosey up, pick around the bass, then take off. Not sure why, but they seemed a little dopey, and him just hanging out, was kind of funny..

Usually they don't focus. something about the blue spots

All the fish were out today in droves!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally found a kelpfish!

And the schools of fish - grabbed a quick vid too

La Jolla's specialty - sand coloured fish on sand

And then we found the leopard shark in 3' of water!

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2014 at 10:11 AM ----------

Oh, and I finally got a good pic of those tiny gobies!

Back
Top Bottom