Giant Sea Bass hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Kevin, Merry and I trekked out in search of Giant Sea Bass for Dr. Milton's first annual GSB count. Merry saw the only one, a large adult. I dragged my wide angle setup around all day, wishing I had my macro lens.
We began the day on the Hermosa Beach Artificial Reef. GSBs and groupers have been spotted there recently, but not today. Even a huge baitball of mackerel didn't bring them in. At least the visibility was decent for a change. We had easily twenty-five feet.
We motored over to the edge of the kelp off Haggerty's for our next dive. I found a small polyclad worm, Eurylepta californica but couldn't get it with my large setup. Merry and Kevin handled the macro today. Visibility here was a cloudy fifteen feet. The only thing we saw of interest was a large diameter hose. I've seen them at the Olympic II wreck and the Redondo Artificial Reef.

Merrysworm_zps7d9b19a6.jpg

Merry's shot of the Eurylepta californica

Haggertys3_zps750ac157.jpg

Red algae resembling Dead Man's Fingers. I'm not sure what this is.

Haggertys2_zps63d0809e.jpg

Lobster condo in a kelp holdfast

Haggertys1_zps48e13661.jpg

The hose

HermosaReef5_zps247aa6e2.jpg

Kevin confiscated my camera so I could model for him

HermosaReef1_zps1fce31f6.jpg

HermosaReef4_zps86a98f8f.jpg

Concrete and springs make up the Hermosa reef

HermosaReef7_zpsc75965cf.jpg

HermosaReef6_zps414d20b8.jpg

Brown rockfish, Sebastes auriculatus

HermosaReef2_zps19861c34.jpg

HermosaReef3_zpsb22dce9c.jpg

Holy mackerel!

To hunt for GSBs, we opted for different sites today. The second site, offshore Haggerty's had a primarily sand/silt bottom with occasional kelp, some low-growing algae, and a few scattered rocks. Vis was ~12-15 hazy feet, and 57 degrees.
This habitat made all three of us wish we were back at Golf Ball Reef. However, just when it looked like a total bust, a robust GSB (~4 ft) came from behind and passed within 10 feet. It traveled at a steady clip into the gloom before I could get a shot. For the rest of the dive, I set up my rig to catch one in the act, peered longingly into the haze, but no luck.

Based on our sightings, on Golf Ball Reef, near where we were, we have a 44% chance of seeing GSBs.

Small shrimp photo-bombs Navanax.
NavanaxampshrimpieDSC_6976_zpsda9d2680.jpg

Nice write up and captures. Dig the mackerel swarm and the shrimp photo bomb. What's the size of that Eurylepta californica?

Since this time of year I dive almost exclusively at night, I don't think I'll report any zeros because they could be out there in the darkness beyond my video lights! I know the great whites are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom