Marine Room 08/17/14 - leopard sharks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Buddy and I had our dive today instead of the usual Saturday, and it turned out to be a great decision. I brought out the longer fins (instead of hogs, the mares) and everything was the same as usual (sidemount 40s, the 5mm wetsuit again because I was expecting warm water again). We hit the water probably after 7am because it was a gorgeous morning out today, and after a few kicks in the right direction, he spins around and says sharks!!! I look down and there's a huge school of them after I put my reg in my mouth, but all of a sudden my reg is water? But why? I feel my face why spinning back around, and the mouthpiece had slid off the reg. I guess the zip-tie had fallen off because, most likely, I just didn't tighten it tight enough. So the bungee came off too, but was still around my neck... maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I tied the mouthpiece back on with the reg with the bungee while telling my buddy I needed to fix my reg before going on. Spinning back around, I finally have it together to take a short video of them and all I can say is it was amazing. We had only been on the surface so far because it was in something ridiculously shallow like 3-4fsw, so after we get somewhere that looks more like 5-6fsw we drop. The dive was 1:28 long, average 10fsw with a max of 17fsw (haven't been that deep in a while!!), with temps at about 68ºF (couple degrees chillier than the last dive). After we got back out of the water, I un-tied that bungee, put a new ziptie on (save a dive kit!) and asked my buddy to help me tighten it :cool2:

Lots of schools of things today

So, the usual suspects with a lot of stingrays towards the end. There were a lot of snorkelers out when we were getting back out of the ocean, so hopefully they all knew how to do a safe exit here in La Jolla (drag your feet!)

Almost its adult colours..

A little horn shark tucked away, napping.

Can anyone ID that long fish with the vertical stripes in the back? I don't think I've seen one like that before

The sea bass kept swimming at or away from us in a large school the whole time. It was a little unnerving

I finally caught one in the sand, because usually they scare too easily for me to ever see them like this.

aand gone in a poof of sand

oh wait -- there he is!

..and the exit - tons of people out today!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom