For the most awesome dive experience you'll ever have!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
For the most adventurist scuba divers (pretty much includes all right!!) going to be once again traditionally focused on a site of Candy, with a group of non stop having fun divers!! You'll only live once and have even more a rare chance to be where we go every year! We caution those that want or would be controversial to this plain and fun invite to dive in our resource rich waters of Los Angeles California on opening night of Lobster Season 2014, to not respond or reply here. the links are in place for the fun at heart and open to modern networking with divers!!!! IF at any rate of displeasure, we'll always be right there to help! If that doesn't settle the problem at hand...please go to our webpage's "Bent Diver Recovery" section to vent!! Thanks you So Cal Divers!! Oh just to let you know, from recent viewing of Legal California Spiny Lobster counts!! This is a loaded year!!

EnglishSecondLanguage.jpg

That does read like one of the Google translated posts from a foreign language to English we sometimes see in the Accidents and Incidents forum.

Richard.

it's how we weed out the one's that are going to complain!!
They aren't going to be missed, but valued as members of our local So Cal Divers community, even if they have these grammatical, spelling perfections that they insist upon before being able to understand a friendly invite! It's totally ok. We, when I say we, I'm speaking on behalf of those that are going to be there, to harvest limits of legal lobsters, 7 a day, we don't compartmentalize or evaluate your education if you want to dive!! It's just diving!! But thanks for replying!! How did it read here?

Don't forget the legal limit is seven in possession, not seven per day. If you have seven in the freezer you may not take more the next day.

it's how we weed out the one's that are going to complain!!
They aren't going to be missed, but valued as members of our local So Cal Divers community, even if they have these grammatical, spelling perfections that they insist upon before being able to understand a friendly invite! It's totally ok. We, when I say we, I'm speaking on behalf of those that are going to be there, to harvest limits of legal lobsters, 7 a day, we don't compartmentalize or evaluate your education if you want to dive!! It's just diving!! But thanks for replying!! How did it read here?

Bold emphasis mine.

It's got really bad grammar, still reads like it got converted via Google Translate from another language, and reads a lot like some of the lower quality SPAM I've seen. No offense, you did ask and this is my honest opinion, and I'd be interested to see whether others agree or find my interpretation overly harsh.

I'm working on the assumption this is a public invitation to an organized event, and so I hold it to a higher standard than a peer-to-peer discussion posting on a forum, where I might think the speaker had English as a second language and wouldn't want to offend the person. That would be ugly and tacky. Really bad grammar in a public announcement detracts from the credibility.

Offered as constructive criticism, not intended as any kind of insult.

Richard.

P.S.: It's in California, so English is the language. If this were a public event in Mexico with an invitation extended to the U.S. market, then the post's grammar might be more understandable.

If this is simply a public invitation to an organized lobster hunt on the opening of California lobster season, thanks, but no thanks.

Hunting lobster won't give me the most awesome dive experience I'll ever have. It's much more enjoyable for me to photograph the critters in no-take marine reserves. I kinda miss seeing them when I dive areas that have been picked clean. I lost the urge to kill my own food a while back, but that's just me.

Happy hunting to the underwater hunters out there who follow the regulations. Enjoy the opening!

-AZTinman
www.cortezbluephotography.com

max I'm eating 7 everyday this year!! I'm bringing all my friends to the hot spots so they can eat 7 every day
too!!

---------- Post added August 29th, 2014 at 08:47 PM ----------

That does read like one of the Google translated posts from a foreign language to English we sometimes see in the Accidents and Incidents forum.

Richard.

How intensely void of attention. I nor anyone asked for a English grammar report! The message did indicate anyone that was going to be complaining such as yourself and Maxbutton time did, wasn't why the post was there in the first place. But I know some of you are slow to the switch. If bad grammar was why you couldn't understand your opinions were not asked for it's simply explains your lack of attention span. I'll be patient. And the next post I wrote Mr kentucky drich2 about how it wrote...spare me. Again I'm a diver that doesn't need to be schooled by you, but thank you anyways. And even if it was a translated google from foreign language, is that something you do not like on this site? Is this site dedicated to your sheltered upbringing? IF so I understand your impolite remarks. But at the same go ahead and keep them to your self!! Thanks, let me know when you have chosen to dive here in so cal, I personally know lifeguards...I'll alert them to your needed some help.

Last edited:
Okay, that's interesting input. Which leaves me curious about something. In your 2nd post, at the end, you asked:

How did it read here?

I answered in good faith what I took to be the question you asked. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were asking with your question.

So, what were you asking with that question?

And even if it was a translated google from foreign language, is that something you do not like on this site? Is this site dedicated to your sheltered upbringing?

ScubaBoard features a broad array of divers from a range of nationalities. Google Translate is used at times, such as in the Accidents and Incidents section, but some of those postings lose something in the translation! To expand upon what I said in my earlier post, when someone (usually a business) issues a statement to the pubic endorsing something, it conveys a positive image to use correct grammar, and a bad image to use markedly incorrect grammar. Your use of 'we' and 'our,' plural pronouns, in the original post strongly suggested you were speaking on behalf of some group, or reposting something the group put out. You clarified that a bit with your 2nd post. Nobody is interested in giving someone a hard time about difficulties with a 2nd language.

For an event in Los Angeles, California, in the United States.

Did you see AZTinman's post? His 1st line:

If this is simply a public invitation to an organized lobster hunt on the opening of California lobster season, thanks, but no thanks.

It starts with 'If this is...' Sounds like he's not sure just what message your original post is trying to convey. Neither am I.

If you don't wish to accept my constructive criticism, so be it, but it appeared you asked for it.

Richard.

max I'm eating 7 everyday this year!! I'm bringing all my friends to the hot spots so they can eat 7 every day
too!! Thanks, let me know when you have chosen to dive here in so cal, I personally know lifeguards...I'll alert them to your needed some help.
I dive locally about 45 weeks out of the year, weather permitting. That doesn't make me or anyone else special. Oh, and I know the number for Fish and Game. You should realize that the charges brought against you were from witness tips. You were being watched before. I promise you that you are being watched even more now. Don't forget. You are not allowed to even take a single lobster for the next three years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom