My Favorite Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The yellowfin fringehead, Neoclinus stephensae

Relatively shallow, sandy dive sites offshore Palos Verdes are sparsely populated with boulders no larger than an old-style TV. As you swim by these unassuming rocks, note any bit of movement or irregularity. With careful scrutiny you may find this spunky fish peering out at you from its home in the rock face.

YellowfinfringeheadrockDSC_7206_zps7ab5c6a2.jpg

YellowfinfringeheadfinDSC_7209_zpsc1abc54c.jpg

Between 1.5 and 4 inches long with a mop of cirri dangling over each eye, the yellowfin fringehead looks like the miniature rock star of fish. When feeding, the little fish darts out from protective cover to snag a morsel, then snaps back in place like a rubber band, faster than a photographer’s shutter finger. Their dynamic behavior makes them a barrel of fun to shoot.

Yellowfin fringie with megaloma worm.

YellowfinfringeheadampmegalomaDSC_7204_zps03ec5d58.jpg

Yellowfins are attentive and wary, but after several minutes of acclimation to the foreign structure of a camera rig and the bizarre creature behind it, they usually allow a stealthy approach.

OrangeyellowfinfringeheadBDSC_7195_zps7907873f.jpg

They come in a variety of colors, ranging anywhere from red to gray, AND can change color to match their surroundings. (Paul Humann, 1996).

Yellowfinfringeheadbrown2DSC_7250_zps2cebe5d7.jpg

YellowfinfringeheadbrownDSC_7219_zps0fcbc8de.jpg

What a wonderful set of photos! Love the bright orange color of your original model.

Great pix, Merry. I think I've only seen one in our waters here off Catalina. Have you and Phil seen many diving off the island?

Have you and Phil seen many diving off the island?

At Haggerty's crane, we've found 3 so far. I've found them at 2 other locations in the same general area. Oddly, they seem easy to spot in relentless surge when vis is at its worst!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom