OK areas for Lobster hunting along coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bshmerlie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After looking at the DFG Guide to the Southern California Marine Protected Areas it looks like the only places to go for hunting lobsters are:

1. The Dana Point SMCA (which looks to be from the Dana Point Harbor up to 1000 steps beach)
2. Crystal Cove SMCA (which looks to be from Abalone point up to Newport Harbor)

Is there any map or anything that shows where you some good spots would be for Lobster hunting? I'd prefer not to be hunting in a SMCA if at all possible. Maybe some area that is only accessable by boat. That would be ideal. Basically staying away from where people would normally snorkel or scuba. I really don't want to go out on those Lobster trip boats. I'd prefer to just go out on my own boat. I just want a couple. Seeing a boat full of people with a bunch of lobsters might just make me throw my two back. Besides my chances of actually catching a lobster are probably pretty slim and wouldn't make the trip worth it anyways. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Dude, Malibu/parts of Santa Monica Bay. Deep Hole off of Ventura. Channel Islands (especially West side of Catalina); parts of PV; Long Beach breakwater. There are loads of places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom