Divers die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad story but I don't get the reference to instructors, there is no mention in the article of the victim's actions being a result of bad tuition, do you know these people or their instructor or are you just speculating wildly?

Opening night involves diving in the dark. This makes it even more likely that an accident will occur. Some divers may not have dived since the previous lobster season ended. I would think anyone who hadn't done much diving in all those months would take some time to do a few dives prior to the new season starting to re-familiarize themselves with their gear during day (and then a dive or two at night as well).

Lobster fever, meg tooth fever, whatever fever. Its always a tragedy to lose divers, but we need to remember where our limits lie.

Everyone is always so keen on blaming the training divers have had for the accidents that happen.

I think some personal responsibility is in order, It is said many times around here. You get you certification and it is your license to learn.

Every diver is responsible for themselves. Please remember that. No amount of training, by whatever organization, will trump your own actions.

Be careful out there. Keep your head and make good decisions...

Particularly well said by Bill at Power Scuba in this week's email to members:

Power Scuba:
Every year, SoCal loses a diver or three coinciding with the beginning of lobster season. This year is no different.
Too many people remember they have a diving cert... from ten years ago... nevermind that they haven't dove much/at all since then... and think they can get in the water like a boss and bring lobster back to shore for a brag-fest with their friends and co-workers.

And then they're proven wrong. Often it results in near misses. Incidents that never get reported, but result in wide-eyed, panick-breathing, oh-**** moments that have even atheists praying to a creator to please help them get out of the situation THEY PUT THEMSELVES IN. At least they get to live.

Some people, like the diver last night in Mission Bay Channel, aren't so lucky.

A friend mentioned that lobster diving often turns into solo-diving very quickly. This can be true. Are you prepared and kitted for that? Or are you prepared to continue to observe good buddy practices, like you were taught, at the expense of, perhaps, not getting as many bugs?

It's all about choices isn't it?

Make good choices.

Bill

As @Keith.M says, it's not really about training, it's about personal responsibility. Also as Mike from DRIS says, knowing your limits. Related to this is lack of good judgment.

Solo diving (or accepting buddy separation as "inevitable", which is basically the same thing) is a big factor in many of these incidents as well.

Last edited:
Totally agree on the training bashing. No amount of training will get through the head of someone who is ill-prepared personally to do these dives. Obviously there are those who find themselves in difficult situations due to equipment failure but more often I think it is a matter of proceeding to dive for bugs without doing any recent diving, especially night diving.

I think back to a death that occurred right here on Catalina a while back. According to the sources I've talked with three guys came out of a bar late at night after several rounds of mind alterants, and decided they would dive for bugs (even though it was out of season and they would be poaching). Apparently only one of the divers was certified. Three descending but only two came back. The certified diver was the one who died while the two uncertified "divers" survived.

It's always a tragedy when people die trying to have fun. Some times it's diver error and less often it's gear related. Most often it boils down to a health issue presenting itself at a most inopportune time. Chances of surviving a heart attack are slim enough, but they are close to zero at depth. You can die on a mountain, in an ocean or simply laying on the couch. Get off the couch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom