Dive report Marine Room 10/12/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finally got out again, and conditions were great! Viz was as clear as I've seen it in months (well, milky here and there, but for the most part incredible!) and since it was high tide, we got to dive the 5fsw deep areas that are usually 1-2fsw if not almost exposed. The dive was ~70mins long (79 minutes, but I'm sure at least 10mins is getting in/out), average temp was ~69F and Average depth was 7fsw because we spent a good half the dive at 5fsw. Somehow we actually hit 17fsw but I'm guessing that was ducking down to try to get any decent shots of lobster. The surge was mostly too rough to take pics of them today.

It was completely overcast when we entered - usually it's cleared up by the time we hit the water at 7am, but we were running late today so I'm guessing we got in somewhere around 8am so it definitely should have been cleared up more.

Lots of the usual suspects

and there were tons of schools of smaller fish out today - including these guys:

So we're swimming along and I see this weird piece of greyish kelp. It moves fast and startles me so much that I accidentally push the buttons on my camera, and luckily got video of it. I started swimming towards my buddy to signal to him, hey, shark! Well, the horn shark decided to settle down right in front of me (and it was a small one this time, not quite my size, maybe 3-4'?) so I figured I'd film for a little bit. The surge pushed me towards it and startled it again, so off it went again.

My buddy

I found a really great kelpfish just hanging out on a rock. I thought it was a lingcod or something unusual for marineroom at first, because I'm not used to them just hanging out like this

And seemingly all of the lobster

And then we found a bunch of schools of things-

(I'm usually obnoxiously close to my buddies :D]

And of course, to end the dive, a surprise stingray:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom