La Jolla Shores night dive 10/18/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't usually do night dives because... well it's even harder to gear up in the dark because there's even more things dangling off of you (lights), but we went in last night. And also somehow I manage to drag just an incomprehensible amount of sand back home on my gear. But it was time!

Contrary to the recent dive viz reports I've been seeing on the local mailing list, viz was actually pretty great and not the 5' I kept hearing about. We had a seagull tag along out to the drop point, and I think may have actually followed us on the surface while we were under too! Here's him at the drop point:

and on our swim back at about 10-15fsw:

Anyway, our dive was an hour long, we hit the oh-so-deep point of 63fsw, and the average was 30fsw. Lots of critters out, and for the sake of not blinding them because I guess my light is WAY bright, I just got them on the edge of the light. I usually have my camera set to 'underwater' mode because it does all the red-filtering on its own so I don't have to post-process, so now I know it does take good pics in just 'normal' mode too. Here's what we saw:

lots of rays out tonight

and I think these are called mantis shrimp.. they were out in force

Oh, and I found a pipefish! I never see those here..

And lots of these fish just sitting on the bottom

a sarcastic fringehead out of its hole

no idea what this long fish is, but when they got sick of my light they buried themselves in the sand tail-first

lots of crabs running around too

So off of the wall into the canyon, we had a sea lion buzzing around us the whole time. He even caught a fish in the kelp

what I was really hoping for was getting to see some napping horn sharks. we found some!
awww a cute baby! he was hanging out on the slope I'll guess at like 40-50fsw

and a nice big adult hanging out on the flats at the bottom of the slope.. I didn't hit that deep but I'm guessing more like 70fsw

Oh, and here's a short video of what all that 'particulate' actually is in the water:

lots of little fish just swimming around in the 'shallows' at ~20-5fsw

and baby rays!

The diving's good right now so go jump in!

NICE!! Just out of curiosity, which camera are you using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom