Where to find wolf eels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw one on a night dive at White Point in San Pedro. There are a couple that are commonly seen in the wall at La Jolla Shores. For the most part they are only found on deeper wrecks offshore.

[vimeo]69396552[/vimeo]

Nice videos!
That bird can hold its breath longer than I can swimming around like that!! He must've been hooked up to a hookah system! Nice beouancy control too.

Last edited:
I know it's a ways away but I spotted 4 baby wolfs on Sunday up here in Puget Sound about 40 feet off shore.

Ask NW Grateful Diver. He knows how to find them in Puget Sound.

That bird attack was one of the coolest things I've seen. What depth were you at? Does the bird know the no-fly times after such a dive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In San Diego, we used to have one at Vallecitos Point in La Jolla Shores up until about 2-3 months ago. Now we don't have any at the Shores as far as I know (although someone did tell me they saw one on the rarely dived "Way North Wall" about a month ago, but that was a "one off" sighting).

If you want a "sure thing" when looking for Wolf Eels in San Diego, you'd want to dive The Hogan. I've always enjoyed THIS video which captures the dive very nicely. The Marissa is the only boat that regularly goes to the Hogan. You can also charter a dedicated boat with some friends if you prefer. Hogan is about 120-130ft dive and is *just* this side of the Mexican border. I've also heard that they're on the P38 Wreck off of Torrey Pines, but that's a rarely dove site and there aren't as many as on the Hogan.

That bird attack was one of the coolest things I've seen. What depth were you at?

Between 55-65 fsw was where that eel lived.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom