Water temp on the yukon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hsinhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering, what roughly is the water temp at depth on the yukon at this time of year?

Do people dive it wet?

I was there last Sunday. Lowest temp I noticed was 62, at about 90fsw. 75% of the boat dove wet (about 20 divers).

I have a dozen dives on the Yukon on visits to San Diego. The bottom temperature on my visits has generally been in the low 50s, regardless of time of year. I dive it wet (full 7, hooded vest) and do just fine. It gets a bit cold at the end of a 3 tanker.

What's the viz typically like on that dive? I know it varies, but how about lately?

What's the viz typically like on that dive? I know it varies, but how about lately?

It can be all over the map, the first time I ever dove it, it was probably about 50ft, and I was hooked by what an awesome dive it was! The very next time I dove it, it was probably 5-10 ft! I would have to say it has probably averaged 10-15 ft for me. Visibility in So. Ca. This year has been fantastic, was on waterhorse for a coronados trip a few weeks ago, and the DM was saying she was at the sand at the bow of the yukon the day before, and could see the underside of their boat!

It can be all over the map, the first time I ever dove it, it was probably about 50ft, and I was hooked by what an awesome dive it was! The very next time I dove it, it was probably 5-10 ft! I would have to say it has probably averaged 10-15 ft for me. Visibility in So. Ca. This year has been fantastic, was on waterhorse for a coronados trip a few weeks ago, and the DM was saying she was at the sand at the bow of the yukon the day before, and could see the underside of their boat!

A good day for me has been about 30 ft

This year 2014 is not typical, so take the temp readings for this year with a grain of salt. I only dived Wreck Alley a few times but each time water temp ranged between high 40-Fs to low 50-Fs. Viz was between 10-40 ft. Heavy surge with different currents pushing different directions depending on the depth.

It's definitely an advanced dive site.

Back
Top Bottom