Really nice conditions off Redondo Beach this morning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We heard from three divers who had to abort dives on Thursday and Friday because of visibility of less than a foot. Sometimes conditions can change radically in twenty four hours. Today was one of those days.
We dived the Red Cars off Redondo Beach this morning. I dropped a fin at the surface and told Merry I was going after it. I finally caught up with it ten feet from the bottom, but Merry watch me from the surface and saw the entire chase. The bottom ten feet was stirred up sand scatter, but above that was tropical blue. After retrieving my fin I looked up from sixty feet and could clearly see the boat on the surface.
I am sure the nearby reefs and wrecks with gravel bottoms had incredible conditions today. If the predicted swells don't materialize tomorrow. we'll enjoy some blue water diving, SoCal style.

LART7.jpg

Pacific+Electric+-+Red+cards+stacked+at+Terminal+Island+-+1956+-+Wiki+Commons.PNG

AW-PE-scrap_red_cars.jpg

Pacific+Electric+-+Navy+salvage+ship+lowers+trolley+off+Redondo+Beach+Palos+Verdes+coast+-+Sept+1956.PNG

Redcars17_zps49419763.jpg

Dropping on the reef

Redcars16_zps9da337ef.jpg

Sand star checks out the visitor

Redcars9_zps7c90b7af.jpg

Lots of gray sponges but no Felimares were found

Redcars1_zps9cf30a69.jpg

Redcars4_zps4981cd2b.jpg

Redcars5_zps851f8e66.jpg

Lots of fish on the flattened red cars

Redcars2_zps4e6923aa.jpg

Redcars3_zps9ef78b1a.jpg

Redcars6_zpsf7b8fe17.jpg

Redcars8_zps877eb576.jpg

Redcars11_zps5820416e.jpg

Redcars7_zpsff614ba5.jpg

Redcars12_zps62d11584.jpg

Redcars13_zps06333fde.jpg

Redcars15_zps10331f15.jpg

Redcars10_zps286f76ad.jpg

Redcars18_zps8a3cb638.jpg

Redcars14_zps4848b533.jpg

Redcars15_zps10331f15-0.jpg

This is a wonderful shot, among many.

I just love the documentary angle of people quietly going about their work in alien, ethereal settings.

Always nice to see what you guys bring back.

What gorgeous viz!

I'm going to be down in SoCal next month, diving on Catalina, and I hope that's what we get!

I dove Old Marineland this morning. A bit surgy and viz about 10 ft. but still a fun time. Wish I had the viz that you had on your dive! :)

My morning dive yesterday had very good vis but by night it had gone "to swell." Couldn't berlieve there were about 25 divers doing a night dive in the park in late October. I'll stay away from weekend night dives for a while longer.

So what you are saying is that there is a pack of Red Train Cars at Veterans Park?
At what depth?
Are they accessible by shore?

You are a wealth of info for that area.
Great Photos.

Thank you,

IrnBear

awesome, never knew there were sunken streets carts off RAT beach. going to try and find them next time we head out with my buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom