Comparison of Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

Can anyone give a comparison of diving between different channel islands like San Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Ana Capa, San Clemente, Catalina etc? Is there a lot of variation in the terrain and marine life or doing one equals doing any other?

I have always been curious about the dives there and I am looking forward to exploring that area.

I've got a few thoughts, though I'd say post this thread on the SoCal forum. There are many more folks that could give a very detailed description of your question.
All of the islands offer different things, and I'm pleased every time I go. Especially when I get to leave the drysuit behind... some boats to look at:

Truth Aquatics: The Best In Liveaboard Diving, Island Kayaking and Hiking

Welcome to the Raptor Dive Charters Website located in Ventura Harbor, California

I hope this helps some... Perhaps more info will come to you in the SC forum..

Safe diving!
Rob

There can be significant differences when diving the Channel Islands... even just going from warmer Anacapa to chilly San Miguel (bathed in the cold California Current with very high productivity). You can even find differences between the northwest and southeast ends of my island (Catalina) due to temperature (and possibly some due to differences in geology) plus the windward and leeward sides of my island also differ due to wave exposure and temperature

In my experience, which admittedly is limited, San Miguel is different. It is more exposed and sits in colder water, and the marine life has a great deal in common with what I have seen in Monterey, with California hydrocoral and corynactis anemones, as well as kelp. With the other islands, it seems to depend more on the specific site. Anacapa, for example, has lush reef in the marine sanctuaries, and urchin barrens in other places. But it also has juvenile sea lions!

The vast majority of my channel islands diving has been around San Miguel, Santa Rosa, and Santa Cruz.
Miguel is magic. But as stated that's because it's cold and exposed, so often as not you go to sleep heading for San Miguel and wake up at Rosa or Santa Cruz. The latter both have plenty of nice dive sites.
Miguel? For sheer underwater beauty (topo and critters) a couple of the sites there are on my short list of all-time favorites. And above, I fully expect to see King Kong on a mountaintop or a pterodactyl fly out of the fog, it looks prehistoric at times. My gallery here has lots of shots from these islands.

I'm making my first trip to San Clemente next month. We shall see :wink:

Hello:

Can anyone give a comparison of diving between different channel islands like San Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Ana Capa, San Clemente, Catalina etc? Is there a lot of variation in the terrain and marine life or doing one equals doing any other?

I have always been curious about the dives there and I am looking forward to exploring that area.

Most of the marine animals are the same, but there would be differences in concentrations of one or more types of animals than others because of the colder or warmer temperature.

In my experience as a layman, San Clemente and Santa Catalina are very similar to each other. Water tends to be warmer with similar terrain. Though these islands are so big that one dive site can be vastly different than another dive site. For example, Little Farnsworth dive site at the east end of Catalina is deep and chilly with lots of more exotic nudibranchs than a typical front side Catalina dive site. Farnsworth at the back side of Catalina is deep, current swept and way the heck away from the island with great fields of purple hydrocorals and better than average visibility. Also it seems to me that Catalina is more populated with the giant black seabass - our local version of the gentle giant.

I have never been to San Nicholas so I have no idea what it's like out there.

Santa Barbara is a small island but also has very diversified terrain/topography. Water isn't as cold as the Northern Channel Islands even though it's way out there in the ocean. Because it's fairly unprotected, the water movement could be pretty rough. You can find white metridium anemones there in limited numbers growing underneath ledges. Lots of nudibranchs of all sorts, and purple hydrocoral at less than 60-ft depth. Visibility tends to be better than average SoCal. It also hosts a large sea lion rookery.

The Northern Channel Islands are Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel in that order:

Anacapa is warm, slightly colder than Catalina but not by much. Front side is nice because it's a protected area. Back side is fairly barren and infested with sea urchins. The back side also has a large sea lion rookery.

Santa Cruz is a large island and the further end is considerably different from the closer end. Water also start to get a bit colder.

Santa Rosa is the other large island and at the further end you start to see thicker kelp forests that tend to be farther away from the island. Water also get a bit colder than Santa Cruz. Start to creep into the lower 50-Fs.

San Miguel is way the heck out there and most of the time the boats can't make the trip because of high wind or high sea. Water is decidedly colder, ranging from high 40-Fs to low 50-Fs. Abundant kelp because of the cold water. Anemones tend to be brighter in color and more abundant, especially with the strawberry and purple anemones. More colorful starfish. You also start seeing more of the white metridium anemones as well. Many nudibranchs of all sizes, shapes and colors. Extremely thick and lush kelp forests. More game size fish for the hunters, especially the vermillion rock fish and lingcod. Not as many Garibaldis as the closer islands though.

Maybe it's just me, but when it comes to "dramatic" topography, I tend to encounter it at either Santa Barbara or San Miguel. Lots of big boulders jutting out and nice depth running from 90-ft to well below 100-ft.

San Clemente conjured up memories of deep dive sites (90-ft +) with towering kelp forests.

Hi Captain Sinbad,

There are a few islands that are somewhat similar but in reality they are all are so diverse and different. Trips to each island and dive site can also be completely different depending on many things including the time of year and what you plan to do as far as sightseeing, photography or hunting. Also depending on what harbor you go out of there are many choices for dive boats to pick from plus along with the bigger charter boats there is also a few smaller 6 pack boats for smaller groups. A good resource for info on the different islands and dive sites can be found at the Channel Islands Dive Adventures website-http://channelislandsdiveadventures.com/dive-spots/. I am always willing to help narrow down your options if you wish to call me. My number is on the CIDA website.

Keep Diving, Ken K

Hi Captain,

Despite their relative proximity, the Channel Islands can be very different from each other. As well explained by all the experienced divers above, each island offer unique dives with different topography and diving conditions. You will even have different diving experiences around the same island, as long as you have an experienced and knowledgeable crew to take you there. Answering your question, diving one island does not equals diving any other. You can find a short introduction to each island here and if you need further information, do not hesitate to contact us!

Have fun out there... keep safe, and... keep diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom