La Jolla Shores night dive 11/08/14 - sharks and rays!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After a few weekends out due to rough conditions, my buddy and I finally got back in! We planned on hitting the shores along the wall, and got geared up at ~5:30pm because of the time change. We probably hit the water around 6pm or 6:30pm, and kicked out to just short of the buoy in about 20' water. The dive was a balmy 66 degrees F, 54 mins long and I hit a max depth of 60fsw with 33fsw being the average.

This time, because my light was so blindingly terribly bright last time, I fashioned some covers for my light. The layers include a milk carton jug cut up to fit over the light to diffuse the bright spot, and then I decided I wanted some sort of red filter too. I walked around a bunch of stores until a friend suggested a party supply store. I was hoping for a clear plastic cup, but no such luck. I was going to leave all disappointed until I decided to give the whole store a go, and found a small little clear red plastic tambourine! So, the solid side of a cheap plastic tambourine was layer two of my filters, and Saturday night was the test flight.

So here's what we saw on the dive!
A crab doing the 'go away' dance.
PB080240.jpg

PB080243.jpg

PB080247.jpg

Right as I'm dropping down off the edge of the wall, surprise Sarcastic Fringehead waiting for me!
PB080254.jpg

But I find some interesting things just up the wall again..
PB080256.jpg

PB080259.jpg

This 'stick' is actually a tiny thin little pipefish. Tail is towards the right.
PB080261.jpg

One that's all beige (target shrimp)
PB080268.jpg

PB080272.jpg

PB080283.jpg

Baby horn shark just hanging out
PB080284.jpg

And here's that big one. My buddy's light is white, but shows up blue/green. Mine's got that red tambourine over it and is the dim one in the foreground.
PB080297.jpg

I saw at least 3 good sized lobster just running around in the open at the top of the wall.
PB080309.jpg

So here's a target shrimp with the blue on the tail and the spots on the sides.
PB080321.jpg

And here's a shrimp with just red on its tail. (Apparently a mantis shrimp!) A little bit of my light 'filter/dimmer' on the bottom left there.
PB080324.jpg

Some fish were hanging out at the point.
PB080326.jpg

And anemonies
PB080327.jpg

PB080330.jpg

Sand coloured fish on sand..
PB080336.jpg

Another Sarcastic Fringehead out in the open again
PB080338.jpg

PB080345.jpg

PB080347.jpg

And our exit!
PB080349.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, is it all of them?

I think you might be happy with just the milk jug diffuser for night dives. I use the caps from the kids meal chocolate milk from Chick-Fil-A.

Haha! Nice!

Yeah I'll peel off the red thing next time and see if that helps? But having a red light really helps not scare the critters away. Instead of fleeing for dear life due to the light, it just goes to regular swim-away during the daytime amounts of scampering, or swimming, away.

Oh nice, thanks!

Uhh.. Im a bit of an ID idiot... the stripey guys who aren't rays? Guitarfish or skate?

Back
Top Bottom