Get Back to Where You Once Belonged: Marineland The Garden Solo Dive 11.18.14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From the Badlands of Theodore Roosevelt National Park

To the Cool Embrace of the Big Blue

It has been 10 months since I've dove the Garden and the last time I was here I found my first Fringehead. I wanted to get some more shutter time with these photogenic little guys and was lucky enough to find one early on in the dive. My current setup allows only manual focus with my Sigma 70mm macro lens and while the focus peaking function works well, it was still a chore to get a solid capture of such a little subject.

No welcome home dive would be complete with out a Cabezon encounter

There are very few places on the Palos Verdes peninsula where I've seen Moray Eels. I was surprised to see one at the Garden and even more so, that he was out swimming along the reef. As I approached him he quickly swam under a small pinnacle and wedged himself under a ledge. After a few shots he fled deeper under the ledge out of reach from my incessant strobes.

This Rockpool Blenny was very photo shy and would not allow me to get close enough for a solid shot. Hence the heavily cropped photo.

10 months since my last dive at the Garden and I can already see the MPA restrictions are doing there work. A larger than normal abundance of adult fish and invertebrates were observed throughout the dive, including these highly sought after Arthropods.

Beautiful photos and welcome report, Frank. You haven't lost your touch! The yellowfin fringehead is my favorite fish; aren't they a treat to shoot? My Favorite Fish

Ok. While Phil and I slave away every weekend, plumbing the underwater realm for new critters, you find a moray eel on your first tank dive in 10 months! Spot it in the open no less. We'll have to give you a little grief about that.
Hope to dive with you and Charlie soon!

Thanks Merry! Yes, they are an incredible critter to shoot. One of my favorites as well.

Yeah, I was very surprised to see him out in the open as well. Kind of startled me at first because I'm so unused to seeing them out and about, or at all.

Can't wait to catch up and explore some new areas with y'all.

Most awesome Frank, home away from home, you nailed it! Love the Moray!
"Be Safe Out There", Don

Thank's Don :D
Here's a couple more captures for good measure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom