Reelin' and Rockin'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After being kept out of the water the past two weekends I was willing to try anything to get in a dive or two today. The swell models and surf reports looked promising for today. The south side of Palos Verdes look flat enough on the webcams to finally hit White Point for the first time in ages.

The sea was relatively calm as we left Redondo Beach. After rounding Rocky Point the wind waves began beating us. We fought our way as far as Marineland before giving up and turning around. Back to the west side...again.
We made a dive on the crane off Haggerty's only to find visibility of less than five feet. Some fish were in the kelp and Merry found one of the moray eels but photography was going to be tough. I looped the line from Merry's spool around the anchor and hung the spool on top of the crane. Thirty minutes later a small octopus was dragging the spool and bolt snap into its den. I was unable to get any decent photos due to the sandstorm so I checked out the rock with two Yellowfin fringeheads. They were obliging.

YellowfinFringehead1_zpsb482ab8b.jpg

YellowfinFringehead3_zpsdb21992f.jpg

YellowfinFringehead4_zpsa1b7a3c7.jpg

YellowfinFringehead2_zps8bed0e75.jpg

We hoped for better luck at Golf Ball Reef but found more of the same. I found more microscopic nudibranchs in the kelp but was unable to get anything in focus in the low vis. I took two shots of an abalone because he doesn't move very fast. The water was a warm 62° but the poor visibility left us hoping for better conditions next week. We seem to be saying that every week lately.

Abalone1_zpsa15c7b65.jpg

Abalone2_zpscfb46933.jpg

Kelpcurler_zps8677ba1c.jpg

Kelp curler

Things weren't too bad over here on the other side ofg the pond according to the divers I talked to. Vis is still holding pretty nicely. Of course I'm high and dry until I get a new housing worked out for my camcorder. Sigh. No way I'll dive without a camera in my hand... might see one of these!

GWS 06.jpg

Attachments

• GWS 01.jpg
    GWS 01.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 68
  • GWS 04.jpg
    GWS 04.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 71
You got a few excellent captures despite the conditions. How did you coax that little guy out of his den? Did Merry come back with any noteworthy captures?

Back
Top Bottom