There be kelp here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hawthorne Reef is a rocky reef offshore from Pt. Vicente filled with marine life. Fish, sponges, nudibranchs, gorgonians and many other animals abound. The only negative to Hawthorne Reef is boat traffic. When I dive here I usually stay within sight of the anchor. Making a surface swim at Hawthorne Reef could be quite hazardous. I've always felt that the one factor that would make it the perfect dive site would be kelp. Well, sometimes you get your wish.
The reef is now covered with tall, healthy kelp that reaches the surface. The visibility was good enough to see the boat from thirty feet, which allowed us to ascend in the kelp. There were a few tiny nudibranchs, flatworms and skeleton shrimp on the fronds to keep us busy.
The reef itself was devoid of the nudibranchs I'm used to seeing here. Maybe it's the time of year, but they seem to be in dwindling numbers everywhere. The fish, however were more than willing to pose for us.
HawthorneReef1_zps02457a5d.jpg

Remnants of an old fishing net are still found here.

HawthorneReef3_zps16d5a7fd.jpg

HawthorneReef5_zpscdd7ce16.jpg

HawthorneReef2_zpse9c64276.jpg

Juvenile Blacksmiths

HawthorneReef4_zps3ec31297.jpg

Olive rockfish

HawthorneReef6_zps480cb836.jpg

Halfmoon

HawthorneReef7_zps44a73abd.jpg

Sand bass

HawthorneReef9_zps04fcc7cc.jpg

Treefish

HawthorneReef10_zpsa556721a.jpg

HawthorneReef11_zpsb0757bbc.jpg

Rainbow seaperch

HawthorneReef12_zps6bc98752.jpg

Some kelp trying to reach the surface the wrong way

HawthorneReef8_zps7ee1e2ce.jpg

Felimida macfarlandi

We motored to Golf Ball Reef in search of sand critters. Visibility was down considerably from yesterday but we were able to find sand. Lots of sand.
GBR2_zpsa1cf5c21.jpg

Serpent star

GBR3_zps696e184e.jpg

Windmill worm

GBR4_zps8161482f.jpg

Hermet crab

GBR5_zps800e0a25.jpg

One spot fringehead

GBR1_zps01a2dd44.jpg

Tiny red octopus

Good to see the kelp somewhere!

That uprooted kelp holdfast reminds me of research I did between 1969 and 1978 where we sampled drifting kelp rafts in the open ocean to see what critters might be transported from one location to another. It proved to be a very effective dispersal mechanism, especially for inverts without a pelagic larval stage, and often introduced reproductive adults sometimes in large numbers making colonization very likely.

Love the J B's and Scally's!! Thanks Phil, good to see the kelp report and your cool new cover pic!

In the picture with the Juvenile Blacksmiths, there is a small fish to the left.

Is that a Garibaldi?

They seemed to be everywhere in the dive park on Catalina.

In the picture with the Juvenile Blacksmiths, there is a small fish to the left.

Is that a Garibaldi?

They seemed to be everywhere in the dive park on Catalina.

Blue Banded Gobi....Its really cool when they cover whole rocks!

Garabaldi are the bright orange fish about 6-9"....and juvenile Garabaldis are smaller, orange with blue bright spots...I'm sure Phil will throw up some picture to explain better.

Garabaldi are the bright orange fish about 6-9"....and juvenile Garabaldis are smaller, orange with blue bright spots...I'm sure Phil will throw up some picture to explain better.
At your service!
Marineland5.jpg

Blue Banded Gobi

MerrysReef6_zps071f3453.jpg

Zebra Gobi

HoneymoonCove11_zpse5e46e83.jpg

Garibaldi

HAHAHA... Yes, I know what a Garibaldi is and also the smaller spotted juveniles. But when you see the juveniles, they always seem to be a couple of inches at least which would indicate some age past hatching from an egg. With the colors matching, I was curious if this was a stage very close after hatching. And since as you said, they sometimes covered whole rocks, which I observed, I thought it was possible they had just recently hatched.

I happen to like this shot... It just happened to get in the frame of what I was taking a picture of.

PICT0460.jpg

And a juvenile...

PICT0508.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom