Snails 'n slugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Phil has a knack for dropping anchor precisely where he wants it to be. So when Kevin found a large number of simnia snails on a dense population of red gorgonian, it was easy to return to the same spot the next day.

Simnia snail, Delonovolva aequalis
Two%20simnias%20with%20eggs%20wm%20DSC_9265_zps25rwepre.jpg

Simnia%20800%20wm%20DSC_9194_zpsbqgrp9fi.jpg

Simnia%20eating%20800%20wm%20DSC_9196_zpsmyo2uruz.jpg

Blue%20ring%20topsnail%20DSC_9168_zpswthfjteq.jpg

Snail%20DSC_9413_zpsgovvojkz.jpg

Northern kelp crab, Pugettia producta
Kelp%20crab%20copy%20800%20DSC_9406_zpsmnytzow0.jpg

Cuthona lagunae from White Point outfall pipe.
Cuthona%20lagunae%20DSC_9181_zpsusfisv2n.jpg

One of the most perfectly cryptic nudibranchs has finally graced us with its presence. We've been looking for this nudi for years, and due to its highly episodic appearance, we may not see it again for some time.
Corambe pacifica feeds exclusively on the bryozoan, Membranipora membranacea.
Corambe%20pacifica%20zoom%20out%20800%20DSC_9417%202_zpspbsrqpqh.jpg

Corambe%20pacifica%20800%20DSC_9439_zpsgytfahnz.jpg

Another cryptic nudi that almost disappears in a tangle of bryozoan is Dendronotus venustus. On Golf Ball Reef, I found a kelp frond that housed hundreds of them, distributed over multiple kelp blades. But getting a shot of that wild sight was another story...
Dendronotus%20venustus%20DSC_9371_zpsaxmq5bbc.jpg

Eubranchus rustyus can be found with venustus.
Eubranchus%20rustyus%20from%20jpg%20DSC_9324_zpsmy9afyku.jpg

Wow. Just wow.

Wow...how great are those shots? Love the snails and didn't even know Corambe pacifica existed. How big were all those nudi's?

One day I hope to dive as much as you and Phil get to...

Wild guess on the size of the large pair is ~5-6 mm. The single one is smaller than that, as were the others I saw this weekend. According to the book by Dave Behrens, they can reach 15 mm. I sure wish they would!

What is the name of the purple and gold spiral shelled one?

Great shots, thanks so much for sharing!

Those are blue-ring top snails, Caliostoma annulatum. They are relatively abundant on the White Point outfall pipe in about 60 ft.

Excellent shots, Merry!

Merry, your pics just made my week. Critters like those are why I dive.

The Simnia are beautiful! How common are they? If I hang out by a patch of red gorgonian, am I likely to find one or two?

As far as I know, simnias are common, but not necessarily abundant. They're pretty easy to spot; look for a single bump on the branch of the red gorgonian. We used to find them fairly regularly on the sunken barge off Redondo Beach. Since we usually see only one per gorgonian, finding a dense group of them on the west side of Golf Ball Reef was a total surprise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom