Suggestions on San Diego diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in San Diego April 24 - May 3 for a conference with work and I want to dive both weekends if possible. I'll be staying at the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa on Mission Bay Dr. I most likely will look for other accommodations for those weekends (as it will be on my dime at that point :hehheh:) but not sure where to look in relation to dive spots. Thanks!

It depends on if you want to boat dive or shore dive. Maybe even a combination of both.

Definitely check out Power Scuba at Power Scuba: San Diego Scuba Diving (and Beyond) (La Jolla, CA) - Meetup

It looks like they have planned Saturday morning shore dives in La Jolla where you will be able to hook up with a buddy for sure.

I have only used two boat operators and like them both. Marissa Charters and Waterhorse charters.

San Diego Scuba Diving,San Diego Dive Boats,Dive Charters Home Page,San Diego California,san diego scuba diving boats,san diego boat dives,san diego scuba diving,san diego scuba diving charters,scuba diving san diego california

Wow that is a lot of stuff for copying in marissacharters dot com :wink:

San Diego SCUBA Diving, Charter Boat Dives. Dive Trips

Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website is a good starting point for just about everything related to diving in San Diego.

LaJolla Cove is the signature shore dive. On Saturday morning plan to get there early - there's going to be a lot of divers and not many parking spaces anywhere near the cove. It's only about 15-20? minutes north of the Hilton.
LaJolla Shores - which is likely where Power Scuba is diving - has a bigger lot.

One option is to pick up tanks the night before at Sport Chalet near Mission Beach. They won't be open real early.

Capture.jpg

On your dime the area west of Sport Chalet is called Hotel Circle. That name or Mission Valley will be in most of the hotel names. Lots of stores/restaurants in that area also. Here's a partial list of what's in that area from google maps.

Comfort Inn
Doubletree
Kings Inn
Motel 6
Travelodge
Days Inn
Best Western Seven Seas.
Sheraton

For boat trips they often dive the Kelp fields off Point Loma. It's one of the more interesting dives you can do in SoCal. Just don't try to surface in it - stay under until you can surface in clear water if possible. And there's a wreck alley just off San Diego. There's also Los Coronados Islands - not to be confused with Coronado Island in the bay. They're a boat ride - maybe 90 minutes - south of San Diego and there's a seal rookery there that can be a lot of fun. Not very deep either.

Another boat with a good reputation is Lois Ann. All of the options are listed at the bottom of this list: California Dive Boats : The Official Page

One really convenient thing for you might be the Humboldt/Waterhorse Charters or Lois Ann since they both leave from the Quivera Basin area in Mission Beach. Do notice that Seaworld is just across the street also...lol. The Hilton is in the upper right corner of this map.

Capture22.jpg

On almost every boat the DM stays on the boat. If you want/need a guide that's extra. Tanks/weights are generally provided but specify what you need when making reservations since a lot of local SoCal divers bring their own.

You'll need some exposure protection - water off San Diego in April averages about 60 degrees. Scroll down this chart to Scripps Pier - that's in LaJolla. https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html

Last edited:
This is excellent information. Thanks so much for the included accommodation info Steve. I'll be bringing everything but the tank and weights. I have a 5mm with hood and gloves so I should be covered.

This is excellent information. Thanks so much for the included accommodation info Steve. I'll be bringing everything but the tank and weights. I have a 5mm with hood and gloves so I should be covered.
Not sure how cold you get, but you won't see So. Ca. Divers typically in anything less than 7mm, our temps are running high 50's at depth and we are typically pretty dry and 60's to 70's air temps so the surface intervals don't do a lot to warm you up...you can rent a 7mm from sports chalet or a local shop and probably be a whole lot happier

Grrr, diving San Diego seems to be more and more of a chore. So far I'm looking at a fairly pricey stay for diving that has a pretty good chance of being cancelled and I still have to rent more gear (also my OCD makes renting a used wetsuit VERY unappealing). Maybe I should just take a few surfing lessons......

I appreciate all of the info though!

Grrr, diving San Diego seems to be more and more of a chore. So far I'm looking at a fairly pricey stay for diving that has a pretty good chance of being cancelled and I still have to rent more gear (also my OCD makes renting a used wetsuit VERY unappealing). Maybe I should just take a few surfing lessons......

Be careful you don't form an opinion with too little input.

San Diego diving is (far) more often doable-to-great than it is miserable/not-doable. As is MOST West Coast (USA) diving.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom