Green, green water off Palos Verdes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On Sat., a strong phytoplankton bloom produced extremely green water from Redondo Canyon, all around the peninsula to the L.A. breakwall. We hadn't expected an algal bloom so soon. Bloom formation is complex and many factors contribute: physical features of the ocean, water temperature and density, salinity, availability of nutrients, available sunlight levels, the amount and species of algae that's present, and the type of zooplankton grazers.

After motoring around for more than an hour on Sat., Phil and I couldn't find a spot to dive that looked half-way decent. In desperation, we said what-the-heck and dropped on the White Point Outfall pipe to see if there were any Corambe nudibranchs left in the kelp. Oh joy! Not only was vis ~3-4 feet, but we encountered brisk bottom current coupled with wicked, miserable surge. It was pretty comical, and neither of us could get off a shot. (57 degrees).

By Sun. noon, the water color looked less ominous at Golf Ball Reef. We weren't very hopeful in the face of white caps and substantial surface current, but desperation again drove us to jump in. Somehow, we didn't have a terrible dive. Vis had increased to ~10 ft. on the bottom, and continued to improve above 30ft to a nice 20 ft. horizontal. (58 degrees).

Yet another (!) new and unexpected find on Golf Ball Reef was a species of squat lobster, the red pelagic crab or tuna crab. Margaret and Scott Webb saw a flood of these on the oil rigs recently.

Tuna crab, Pleuroncodes planipes, all by its lonesome.
Tuna%20crab%20DSC_9832_zpsqlxvyz6i.jpg

Tuna%20crab%202%20800%20DSC_9839_zpsi9oybpxj.jpg

I was diving on the Yukon in San Diego last weekend and I saw several things jetting around me that looked like small squid. When they stopped I could see that they were those squat lobsters swimming in mid-water about 20-30' deep. We get a similar-looking species up here in British Columbia, but they stay on the bottom.

Merry got some really nice shots yesterday. Two days of diving in moving, green water and all I got was a lousy Doto amyra looking for a place to deposit eggs.
GBR3_zps709cbbe7.jpg

Good to know that conditions are conducive for a phytoplankton bloom somewhere! Food production on its way. Here on the island we still have diminished nutrients, blue water and little kelp growth or phytoplankton.

"One lousy shot of a . . ." nudibranchs about 1/4 inch long, packed full of eggs which are clearly visible in the photo. That one photo would have made my day!

I love squat lobsters. The ones we have up here have smiley faces. I had never heard of a pelagic species; cool find.

I can remember several years out here on the island when the tuna crabs were so thick on the beaches that seabirds were pooping red. I have yet to see one this year. Darn.

As mentioned above saw a lot of them on Jan. 10th on the oil Riggs, and still quite a few on the riggs on February. 15

Back
Top Bottom