New reef, new lens, same old results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I really looked forward to this weekend. For the first time in recent memory the ocean was flat and visibility wasn't horrible. My birthday is today, and I was planning to make dive number 2000 tomorrow. We hit a new site on the south side of Palos Verdes and I hoped for good results from a new lens.
Although the reef looked interesting with decent vis and a lot of rock formations, life was scarce. I found four nudibranchs during ninety minutes underwater. We won't be returning here.
Near the end of the dive my drysuit sprung a leak.

After patching the hole with duct tape we headed to Golf Ball Reef. The tape didn't hold, so I was pretty wet during the dive. Fortunately Kevin had a zipper issue and flooded his suit as well. Misery loves company. I didn't find many subjects that I could shoot with the new lens, but while attempting to get a skeleton shrimp in the frame a Giant Sea Bass swam right up to me. I quickly changed settings and fired off one shot before it swam away.
Rather than make dive 2000 tomorrow I'll be patching my drysuit and sleeping in. I should have done that today.
GSB_zps645ebabc.jpg

GBR4_zps8ad72781.jpg

GBR3_zpsae0b76f2.jpg

GBR2_zps7c1eab00.jpg

GBR1_zpsfb389adc.jpg

Quick reflexes with that one, from macro to wide angle.
What lens are you using ?

Bill
dead dog

I was using a Nikon 85mm 1.8G. With a +10 diopter I could only get a tiny depth of field, and without the diopter I had to be a few feet away from my subject, which won't work well in our water. I'll go back to my 60mm for macro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom