Marineroom 03/22/15 - All the Horn Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Right off the bat, it warmed up! A whole 64ºF on the dive, so that I could actually feel my hands and feet!

So gearing up, there's this huge flock of birds that descends on the water. I quickly ran down to take a few pictures in the middle of getting stuff on, in case it disappeared by the time we hit the water. My buddy told me something tasty must have been swimming past.

Naturally, by the time we were ready to go in, they'd all left.

But I had a spectacular dive where either I realized all of a sudden I was over a Horn Shark, or I look up from taking a photo and there's one headed directly towards me :shocked2: Viz was filled with lots of every size particulate most of the dive, so it kept going between 5' to 15'. That's normal for warm water here though. We had a 1:09 long dive, average depth 7fsw, max 15fsw. Lots of surge today too.

Right when we dropped, a shark settled into the grass right in front of buddy. The surge pushed me a bit closer than I wanted to be, but it gave me a good shot.

sorry!

Swam along a little ways, took some more pictures, look up, and I guess this shark wanted to trade spots in the water with me. I was so surprised, I floated up.

I love how big their fins are

And then, laid down just underneath me.

Lots of abalone this time around (buddy found these)

and there were a couple more right next to them

Viz right there just went terrible in an instant

Cleared up a bit

and then, surprise! I think we scared each other.

and another one snuck up on me.. I think this might just be the same one swimming around us a bunch of times, because I see that notch in the back right fin in at least one later shot. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it now.

The usuals were around, of course, too

Oh so camouflaged

More particulate. When you stay shallow, you get sandy surprises.

Hey look, some kelpy stuff I can barely see..

Guess who's in there

The state fish, the Garibaldi

Another big abalone, with a juvie Garibaldi to the left (the blue spots)

Buddy found a massive sea star! (with fish-y guards, I guess)

The only ray I saw on the dive (you can just barely see the hole through the sand). We saw one swimming in 1' water when we were exiting and I think it may have been a bat ray because it had pointed fins. No pic though.

And things like this school of quickly swimming fish make me wonder if I shouldn't follow. What's making them hightail it out of there so quickly?!

It was great, as usual! Go dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom