New Reef, New Nudibranch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It feels like I haven't dived in a year. Two weeks ago our gear was not back from the shop yet. Last weekend we visited Merry's Mom in Phoenix and took in a spring training game between the Angels and Dodgers. There was a building swell this afternoon but we were diving no matter what.
Trout%20homers%20to%20deep%20center%20field_zpstnwv5xp0.jpg

Mike Trout hits a long homerun to center

Ethier%20swings_zpsc43crvaj.jpg

Andre Ethier singles

We dived a small reef near Pt. Vicente first. I had never dived here, but we see fishing boats on it all the time. I expected to see rockfish, calico bass and halibut, but found only a couple of small sheephead and a sand bass. You can certainly tell the difference between this reef and the reefs inside the MPA off Pt. Vicente. The lone highlight for me was finding a new nudibranch, Red-headed aeolid, Noumeaella rubrofasciata. Merry and Kevin found several other species on the surrounding rocks and up in the kelp.
Visibility was very nice but the swells had begun picking up before the end of the dive. We packed up and headed for the more protected Golf Ball Reef.
Little%20Reef%207_zpsuiyrwbck.jpg

Little%20Reef%2011_zpsbto0xn7x.jpg

Noumeaella rubrofasciata

Little%20Reef%201_zpshb20xdyr.jpg

Felimida macfarlandi

Little%20Reef%202_zps8r9m5wzw.jpg

Limacia cockerelli

Little%20Reef%203_zpshi2shgqc.jpg

Felimare porterae

Little%20Reef%204_zpscwv592hg.jpg

Serpula columbiana

Little%20Reef%2015_zpstupifkuu.jpg

Tiny serpent star

Little%20Reef%2012_zpslsppzhxo.jpg

Octocoral, Clavularia sp.

Little%20Reef%2014_zps2ot0jnk7.jpg

Phoronids, Phoronis vancouverensis

Visibility was even better at GBR, but the swells picked up here as well. I guess tomorrow will be another dry day. At least my gills haven't dried out.
GBR1_zpsu8dp3scw.jpg

Juvenile vermilion rockfish, Sebastes miniatus

GBR9_zpsskgkzy4j.jpg

Swell shark egg

GBR10_zpsevyi8c4f.jpg

Small sea cucumber disguised as a football

GBR8_zpsspdq6odj.jpg

Cadlina luteomarginata

GBR5_zpsj7g6badn.jpg

Hermit crab wearing a Doriopsilla albopunctata hat

GBR7_zpssyetrmdg.jpg

GBR3_zpszerfp5dj.jpg

Berthella californica laying eggs

Wow. Nice.

I really enjoy these, and look forward to seeing each new post featuring your macro shots.

Love the cadlina with the lifted margin. And I didn't think there were ANY Pacific nudibranchs you hadn't seen?

There are nearly 200 species identified from Alaska to Baja, and experts suggest that there may be that many undiscovered. I'm only up to around seventy. :(
That give me yet another reason to keep diving! :)

Back
Top Bottom