SoCal dive spot suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sugee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask. I will be in LA - San Diego area between 9-22 may next month with family in tow. I have a day or two max where i can dive.

I heard suggestion for kelp forest diving? Also read about offshore platform dive which sounds interesting too.

Any suggestion for a dive spot / trip worth going for would be much appreciated. I am keen on wreck dive but open to any suggestions really

Thanks,
Sugi

For wreck dives go down to San Diego wreck alley Scuba Dive Wreck Alley - San Diego California - Academy of Scuba there are a few boats that you can jump on that will take you to the Yukon and Ruby E.

Good luck on the kelp diving, there is not a lot right now. There is still some off of Laguna Beach and others can chime in about Catalina and San Diego. I really like diving in the kelp.

I also believe there is a sticky at the top of the forum about Catalina diving.

San Diego is still rolling in it (kelp).

Bill

Is your profile correct, and you are a fairly novice diver? If so, I wouldn't recommend the oil rigs. They are isolated and have no hard deck at all, and currents can be strong. Beautiful dives, indeed, but not for beginners.

If you are interested in kelp and dives that are appropriate for all levels, consider signing up for one of the Channel Islands day boats like the Spectre. Anacapa, which is the closest island, has a lot of beautiful diving to offer, including a sea lion rookery, if the water conditions permit. That was my first introduction to Channel Island diving, and it blew me away. They are used to dealing with relatively inexperienced divers, too.

Catalina Island makes a wonderful overnight trip, but there is no kelp there now.

You can do shore dives off La Jolla Shores (>60 fsw) or La Jolla Cove (<40 fsw) which are both descent spots. Best is to get a charter to point loma kelp beds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, thanks for the suggestion guys. I shall digest it and make appropriate action. Are there more than one oil rig dive spot?

Sorry i have not been keeping my profile up to date. I have dived about a year now. Highest AOW with nitrox and wreck certs. Will soon be taking adv deco and nitrox after the return of this trip. Been to Bali, Solomon Island and few local NZ spot.

What about decently priced and selection of dive shop local in LA? Thinking of getting jetfin style fins while i'm there.

If you want to try some beach diving. There are local groups that meet every Saturday, swell permitting in Laguna Beach. These dives are free and you will be guided by locals to some of the best diving Laguna Beach has to offer. Both groups have experienced dive leaders that are familiar with the local reefs and welcome out of town divers. You can check Scuba Diving Laguna Beach with South Coast Divers or South Orange County Dive Club, Laguna Beach SCUBA Diving, Southern California Scuba Diving, SOCDC for more information. You will typically dive with a larger number of people with South Coast divers, but both groups hit the same locations. It doesn't hurt to buy lunch for one of the leaders if you enjoyed your dive, but that is not mandatory.

Deadmans is called that because it is a very long swim out. I'd suggest starting with Shaws which is just one cove over. It is a much shorter swim to the reef.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I've been looking for oil rig diving around 16/17th of May but so far can't find any charters on this date. Unless someone local who wants to go along with me?

I may alternatively go for wreck / kelp diving instead. If this not looking too promising I will join the local dive club for shore dive.

How does the local charter normally works? Do they pair you up on board before you go diving or you are on your own?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom