Point Vincente

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mangoconchile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it possible to shore dive from Point Vicente? I pass by it all the time on my way to dive Honeymoon Cove but have never thought about diving here as I have never heard of anyone else diving this spot, or if there is an easy way to get down to the rocks. If it is possible, how difficult would it be in comparison to Honeymoon?

Thank you

It's not impossible, but it's a long hike and surface swim. There is a parking lot and restroom at the trailhead located between Pt. Vicente and Terranea Resort. It used to be called Pt. Vicente Fishing Access but now that it is part of the Pt. Vicente Marine Protected Area (nothing may be taken) the name has been changed to Pelican Cove. It was commonly referred to as Cardiac Hill. When you haul gear back up you will see why. From the bottom of the trail you can hike across the rocks to the northwest end of the beach and swim out toward Whale Rock or dive the southeast end at Buchanan's Reef.
The reefs consist of pinnacles filled with life. The best diving is on the pinnacles just outside the kelp off Whale Rock, but it's a very long swim and boat traffic can get heavy here. Craig Hoover did it and said it was easy, but I've seen him make a 1/2 mile surface swim before.
PointVicente22_zps4ddb9d13.jpg

PointVicente21_zpsae612b48.jpg

PointVicente18_zps6bf6b718.jpg

PointVicente3_zpsf2f0b699.jpg

Fishing%20Access_zpsb4yamhwm.jpg

Reefs_zpsylropxrz.jpg

Thanks Phil, Whale Rock is definitely the next boat dive I'm doing. I did try Buchanan Reef last year and it was one of the best PV dives Iv'e done. I did find a couple of whale videos on Youtube swimming near Whale Rock. I guess that's why it's named that? Would be cool to see one on a dive someday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O3E1_v2u3M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom