Water temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mijil

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone has current temperature reading for Northern Channel Islands? Trying to figure out what to bring for next weekend.

Thanks

mijil

It's been 51° around Palos Verdes for the past six weeks. It's usually a bit colder around the Channel Islands. The surface temperature at the Santa Rosa Island buoy is 55° so expect a few degrees colder at depth.

If you're going out on one of the regular dive boats from Ventura, you could always call them during the week and see what temperature divers are reporting

Anyone has current temperature reading for Northern Channel Islands? Trying to figure out what to bring for next weekend.

Thanks

mijil
If your talking about what kind of "suit" to wear on a Ca. Dive boat, you can never go wrong diving dry, and a 7mm is pretty much the standard for wet (dive 2 and 3 surface interval, brrr)

Can be quite a difference between Anacapa at the eastern end and San Miguel at the western end so specify to the dive boat operator(s) which island you will be going to. Heck I've had reports from the two ends of "my" island (Catalina) that gave bottom temperatures 10 degrees different (54 vs 64 at west and east ends).

If you could let us know which islands you are specifically heading to, it would be easier to tell you the temps.

That said, expect low-mid 50's in the water right now (give or take a few depending on a few variables).

The past 10 days have seen air temps in the low to mid 60's, and not tons of sunshine, so expect surface intervals to be on the cool side.

If you are diving wet, a 7mm plus hooded vest would be good, as well as gloves. Dive dry if you have the option to.

Thanks guys! 50-55 was what I was expecting and will bring undergarments for that range. It's a struggle to get everything in just two suitcases. :) Yes I did look at the buoys, and no I don't know which islands we'll end up at. It's been a few years since I've been diving there .... some 10 years I think. If the forecast holds, I'll put in some extra wools for the evenings :wink:

---------- Post added May 19th, 2015 at 09:35 AM ----------

Peace Boat by the way.

Back
Top Bottom