Best time of year to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jelgan

New
Reaction score
I'm planning on visiting a friend out in LA and getting some diving in while I'm out there, but don't have any specific timeframe planned at the moment. Anyone have a suggestion of a particular time of year I should aim for to get the best diving in?

Fall is usually pretty good. Water cools down but less chance of algae blooms and viz tends to be better. Mileage may differ.
Shore dives may suck though and I strongly suggest you book a boat dive. Depending on where in LA you will be staying, you can take a dive boat out to Catalina from Long beach or San Pedro, or out of Ventura/Oxnard to the Channel Islands. If you have time and dosh, book a trip with Truth Aquatics in Santa Barbara. You can also take the ferry to Catalina and get a boat dive from there (the benefit there is that they can equip you with ALL the gear you need), and/or dive the park. Not suggesting any specific boats because I have been out of local waters for a few years now and things might have changed.

The short answer would be anytime the water is nice, considering algae blooms, wind, swell, etc.
diving in California is year around usually with fall being best and spring being windy. But I've seen wonderful days in winter and crappy days in fall so sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.
Tropical storms from Mexico can have an affect in SoCal waters causing some big swells.
just book a trip and go. If it gets cancelled for any reason they will refund your money.
Just for fun shallowish dives I like to go on the Spectre out of Ventura, they go to Anacapa Isl.
It's a little north from LA. $130 gets you 3 dives, free air, and lunch and snacks. They also let you sleep on the boat the night before so no motel fees. Free parking too and great restaurants and shops on the wharf.

Fall. Less tourists, clearer viz and nice weather. Water temps still usually nice too. All subject to change and Mother Nature.

So only three dives for $130 on Spectre these days? Last time I was on it (5 years?) you got 4!! Figured they would raise the price...you still have to use the fuel to get out there and back. Other than compressor wear and tear (fuel to run it?) dont see much cost savings in reducing the number of dives.

Peace still operating? Explorer?

I find any decent day between January 1 and December 31 is a good time of the year to dive in So Cal. Massive storms and thundering surf do put a damper on dive activities, however. You know what they say, "the worst day diving..."

so cal Oct thru Dec though last yr best conditions lasted into feb. go figure. anyway with big Ole el Nino forecast for fall and winter, pretty hard to guess what we will see.

In my 46 years of diving Catalina waters it used to be that winter was the "best" time to dive here despite the cooler water temperatures. Visibility was generally good due to shorter daylength restricting plankton and kelp forests were often at their healthiest. Spring was the time for plankton blooms.

Today, with the appearance of the invasive Asian seaweed Sargassum horneri, that has changed. During periods of warm water, late fall through late spring can be lousy times to dive if the Sargassum is dominating the landscape. This has serious impacts on the entire ecosystem. If water temperatures have been cool, the giant kelp may dominate with the Sargassum limited to an understory species. I find fall to be about the best time to dive these days although I enjoy a lot of night diving during the summer months and into late fall.

On the other hand, during periods of warm water like last year and the predicted El Nino this year, plankton may be minimal during summer and visibility quite good. On top of that you do see giant sea bass (Stereolepis gigas) from late spring to early fall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom