Beaten, Battered and Bewildered. Diving When the ocean says not today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
All week long the swell models were showing blue. Flat seas were looking very inviting for the weekend. Last night they called for one to two feet at eighteen second intervals. This is what got our hopes up;
Swell%20Model_zpsppcv01ts.jpg

This is what it actually looked like;
horror_movie_scream_zpszjebgdie.jpg

We motored at half speed along the west side of Palos Verdes, wind driven waves pounding the windshield with swells feeling like we were four-wheeling instead of boating. If we could just make it to the south side we would find calmer seas.
As we rounded Rocky Point Merry shrieked. It had nothing to do with the beating we were taking. She spotted three tuna crabs on the surface. We stopped and suddenly those three turned into a lot more. The surface was hopping with the tiny red crustaceans from Rocky Point to Abalone Cove. We didn't get any photos in the water, but we clicked away at the surface.

Tuna%20Crabs%201_zpsicpr9ddy.jpg

Tuna%20Crabs%2011_zpsv1j5khi2.jpg

Tuna%20Crabs%204_zpsljwsldoq.jpg

Tuna%20Crabs%205_zpsuaydbvkn.jpg

Although the south side was much calmer, it still felt better once we got in the water. Visibility at Garden Spot was pretty nice. We found the usual suspects out and about, not knowing about the storm brewing above their home.

Garden%20Spot%2013_zpsrz5xj297.jpg

Garden%20Spot%204_zps9otztflq.jpg

Garden%20Spot%203_zps1mhasvhe.jpg

Garden%20Spot%202_zps8bq1i3z3.jpg

Garden%20Spot%2012_zpsuungotsh.jpg

Garden%20Spot%209_zpsbxvw6ccv.jpg

Garden%20Spot%208_zpsejxynqzn.jpg

Garden%20Spot%206_zpszztahnpf.jpg

I found several shells filled with these eggs. I've never seen them before, but they had all hatched,
Garden%20Spot%201_zps8zcfakqp.jpg

At Little Reef it was a bit rougher but the water looked blue. Well, the top three feet was blue. We dropped through a brown haze to the rocks below. As usual, tiny nudibranchs dotted the reef. I found four yellow fin fringeheads poking out of the rocks as well as a Dendrodoris nigromaculata, formerly known as Dendrodoris behrensi.

Little%20Reef%2013_zpso5ixwran.jpg

Little%20Reef%207_zpsbixfbzih.jpg

Dendrodoris%20nigromaculata%202_zps5x9jjsx9.jpg

Dendrodoris%20nigromaculata_zps2zt6yivy.jpg

Little%20Reef%208_zpsv9siouqy.jpg

Little%20Reef%205_zpsoepxs4ft.jpg

Little%20Reef%206_zpsr3fjcxbn.jpg

Little%20Reef%2010_zpsseoqa1kh.jpg

Little%20Reef%2011_zpsrpyd7ya1.jpg

Little%20Reef%202_zpsatbh2fko.jpg

We made it home safely, but I think we'll sleep in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Fantastic images as always. Wit nice conditions, we had an outstanding dive yesterday at the other end of Santa Monica bay. You definitely made the right call on sleeping in today. Horrid conditions, surge, green water.

The tuna crab invasion is called Red Tide, isn't it?

Red tide is an algal bloom. I'm not sure if there is a nickname for the tuna crab invasion.

Fun report "No Pressure" crew! I too am curious about those egg/shells?? Be Safe Out There!

Back
Top Bottom