Here's The Problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I try to promote local diving with my dive reports. I am fortunate to live near an invertebrate mecca like Palos Verdes. There is more marine life to see here than most places I have dived in California. Unfortunately we can't always see it. Yesterday was one of the best days I have seen in recent memory. Thirty feet visibility on the Redondo Barge is the second best conditions I can remember there.
I took my wide angle lens out of mothballs and set out for the wall at Merry's Reef. The variety of rock fish, sponges and anemones there make it a great wide angle site. It was not to be. Under the blue surface water was a cloud of suspended sand everywhere. Shooting wide angle in such conditions causes a dilemma. If I move my strobes out I can avoid backscatter, but I can't get enough light on the subject through the dirty water. I compromised and got fair to poor results.
We dropped on the crane off Haggerty's next and found conditions to be worse. Algae has completely taken over the area. We anchored ten feet away and had to search for the crane. The only highlight was a large school of barracuda that circled us for an hour.
We sweated in drysuits in the 66° water. Someone must have moved the ocean from Laguna Beach to P.V.
Merrys%20Reef%201_zps6odwh4py.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%202_zpsaoouvywm.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%204_zpscfzdc7fl.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%205_zpshdhll9ru.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%206_zps4npucmbh.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%207_zpseri2svzm.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%209_zpswyltdfq1.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%2010_zpsqbqcvtmj.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%2011_zpssxpggiec.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%2012_zps0vxalgae.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%2013_zpspzlt06aj.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%2014_zpshlfwrtas.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%2015_zpsucvxmb8f.jpg

Merrys%20Reef%2016_zpsz4duy0fp.jpg

Haggertys%202_zpssrkupakx.jpg

Haggertys%206_zps4t25hvbz.jpg

Haggertys%204_zpsc02y2lhk.jpg

Haggertys%205_zps092zijbi.jpg

Haggertys%203_zps9l4ndmwd.jpg

Haggertys%207_zpsdetvkrfr.jpg

Brings back fond memories from my former life in Southern California. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photographs.

Last edited:
Great photo's even with the less than optimal conditions!

Really cool pics....we just got back from a trip to the southern channel islands and this brings up good memories. Funny how you "sweated" in your drysuits in 66deg water, to me (Floridian) that was just perfect; cold enough to warrant the drysuit, warm enough not to bother with the hassle of thick undergarments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom