Marine Room 08/23/15 - Scorpion fish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I didn't have the heart to post a dive report from my last dive all this week due to TSandM's passing. I never thought a person who I'd never met in real life would have such an effect, but here we are still vehemently sad the whole week later. I got an early lesson when I first started jumping into the ocean 10 years ago for a surf lesson in the ankle-slappers on Waikiki beach with those VW minibus-sized boards they teach newbies on: even if it's a fizzy ankle-slapper, that doesn't mean it won't feel like it's breaking your back and you're done for if you're between the surf and the corals on the bottom. Then the ocean took me at Hanauma bay for a ride over the coral heads, or as I affectionately call them, the meat grinder, in the blink of an eye. While I have physical scars to remind me of the latter, I definitely have a good sharp mental recollection of the former.

If the only silver lining from this week's tragedy is just a little one, it's to remind us that the Ocean is an amazing force of Nature. It's filled with the most wonderful animals, plants, and everything in between to enjoy since we in the Scuba Community get the amazing opportunity to experience it first-hand, and do so with glee every chance that we get; but also to remember that it is a force of Nature, not under our control, and we are at its mercy like a flood or relief when the rains hit after a drought to nourish a field of crops and leaves us a nice rainbow, or the flood of fear when rain turns a hillside to mud and sweeps a whole neighborhood off the map. She has even reminded us of lessons we should have known even after she's no longer with us - what an amazing person!

With that finally out of my system, despite me not knowing it was in me til I started this dive report, I'll get on with the pictures..

The dive was about 1:30 long, temps were 73ºF, max depth ~15fsw and average ~8fsw. It was super warm, but of course, when it's warm, it's kinda gritty. No Leopard Sharks unfortunately, but the dive did serve up a rare treat I've only seen here once before.

Entry, the same as usual:
P8230001.jpg

I get there at the crack of dawn to find parking, because I really hate hunting for parking when things fill up. I'd rather be tired from getting up early than angry with fighting for parking.. doesn't put me in the right mood to dive.
P8230002.jpg

and the dive's offically started upon first sighting of sea bass :rofl3:
P8230003.jpg

The Garibaldi have such nice big fins.
P8230014.jpg

Early on in the dive, some nice calm schools

Hang out with the lobster day.
P8230020.jpg

I'd say about half the time there's lobster in a cave, there's an abalone in there with them.
P8230021.jpg

Maybe I got too close?
P8230025.jpg

P8230035.jpg

P8230038.jpg

Can you find the fish?
P8230042.jpg

P8230052.jpg

more lobster just hanging out. Everyone was chill on this dive
P8230059.jpg

Hiding ray... another 'can you find the fish' :D
P8230066.jpg

P8230070.jpg

P8230071.jpg

Oooops, got too close :shocked2:
P8230072.jpg

P8230074.jpg

Scorpion fish!! Just sitting out in the open. I was excited to find him, and in clear water!
P8230076.jpg

P8230077.jpg

All of a sudden we came upon a big pile of the BIG sea bass. The biggest one was human toddler sized. These are the ones that give me the heebie-jeebies.
P8230081.jpg

If my face is hidden, you can't see me?
P8230082.jpg

I was so pleased I found so many rays :)
P8230096.jpg

P8230097.jpg

P8230098.jpg

and the long monotonous last couple minutes swim back in
P8230103.jpg

I'm going to go for a snorkle tomorrow AM, maybe a dive Sunday AM if I'm feeling up to it. Maybe I'll see some more cool stuff again. Even if not, it's been hitting 90ºF on land even by the coast (or at least some sort of temp where I begin to melt), so the water's going to feel great no matter what!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom