? on diving in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ws-6

Registered
Reaction score
So my company has an office in the SD area and i will have to go there for a couple of weeks this winter (looks like November/December time frame). what is the water like then? if it is good, what do you use for expose suits at that time of year? btw, i am pretty new diver so take that into account (i just have an PADI OW and that is it)

Cold - so bring/rent a 7mil. Besides San Diego - Scripps Pier is in the LaJolla area - most of the shore diving is done there. https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html I think the current 70's in San Diego are an anomaly caused by the recent storms. Later in Dec. 50's is not out of the realm of possibility. One nice thing about the cold is the algae dies off somewhat so it can be clearer.

Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website is a good resource on most of your available options. It's not obvious but Local Info details just about everything you need to know.

Also join Power Scuba's Meetup group - they might have an event during your timeframe and it's also a place to find buddies. Power Scuba: San Diego Scuba Diving (and Beyond) (La Jolla, CA) - Meetup

Arguably the best shore diving is LaJolla Cove. But parking can be tough after 8-9AM most days. There's also the Shores nearby or the Marine Room. Probably fairly easy to find a buddy at the Shores or the Cove.

Some of the best of San Diego boat diving that can be done in one day is the Kelp beds off Point Loma. Some boats do an afternoon trip to Wreck Alley the same day also. There's others but Lois Ann or Humboldt (Waterhorse Charters) are reliable options. FYI in almost every case the DM stays on the boat so if you feel you need a guide, make arrangements to hire one. Any of the boats should have contact lists. California Dive Boats : The Official Page - they're all listed at the bottom.

If you've got a free weekend, find a boat out to Los Coronados, it's shallow diving and there's a Sea Lion colony out there - they'll be out to play b4 you're in the water typically. Some boats even do it as a long day.

thanks for the info.

i take it then you usually also wear insulating gloves and hood then too?

Waterhorse charters runs some trips out to the Point Loma kelp beds. Short run. Not deep.

thanks everyone for the replies.
I don't know if it will be of much help, but ScubaDada started a thread on San Diego some time back, & the location was discussed at some length. Richard.
didn't see that thread and it is exactly what i was looking for. thanks

Waterhorse charters runs some trips out to the Point Loma kelp beds. Short run. Not deep.
That's not always true, a lot of the point Loma spots are "finger crevices" train wheels and NRAD come to mind, and usually spots off point Loma can encompass 45-60 feet on the ledges, to well over 100 if that's what you desire

That's not always true, a lot of the point Loma spots are "finger crevices" train wheels and NRAD come to mind, and usually spots off point Loma can encompass 45-60 feet on the ledges, to well over 100 if that's what you desire
Correct. If going on a boat charter, be sure to find out the dive locations first. Being that you are only OW, you'll technically need to avoid the deep spots below 60'. Some boats check your cert. In addition to the day boats Humboldt (Waterhorse Charters) and Lois Ann, there is the Marissa. For overnight trips, the Horizon is great.

Unless you love cold water, you will need gloves, a hood and booties; NOT tropical thin ones. Temps at depth along the coast are generally in the 50's all year round, occasionally dropping into the upper 40's, or possibly topping 60. Surface temps can be in the 70's, so there is some variance. During Nov and Dec, barring El Nino effects, temps at depth should be in the lower 50's and surface in the 60's.

La Jolla Shores is probably the most forgiving spot to dive in So Cal. On days when the entire south coast is blown out, the Shores can still be dived. La Jolla Cove is far less forgiving, but probably a more interesting dive for you on a good day. So check conditions.

La Jolla Dive, and other ops, have dive guides available for hire.

Diversteve gave some good advice.

I dove the Yukon from the Humboldt in December years ago it was some of the roughest seas I had ever dove in quite an adventure. I was comfortable in my drysuit and glad I had brought it.

I dove the Yukon from the Humboldt in December years ago it was some of the roughest seas I had ever dove in quite an adventure. I was comfortable in my drysuit and glad I had brought it.
Yep. Those of us who live and dive here year round wear drysuits, year round.
Seas are often good. Come back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom