Looking for recent dive reports from the Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
I'm diving the Northern Channel Islands (departing from Santa Barbara) in 3 weeks and was wondering if anyone has dove there recently. Any good reports?
Thanks,
JAW

Most recent trip I have had was in September or so. I have been diving there many times it is always excellent diving no matter what time of year you go. If you are going on the Truth Aquatics boats you are just about guaranteed good diving they will try too find you good visibility. I have had good luck with them. I ?m sure other operators would do the same. I have never had a bad trip out in the Channel Islands. My last trips have been to the Southern Channel Islands I do believe they have spoiled me the weather is slightly warmer along with the water temp. Have a great trip and happy diving.

I just got back Monday night from a 3 day dive trip on the Truth, a Truth Aquatics boat. We stayed mostly around Santa Cruz Island, with a few dives at Santa Rosa and San Miguel. The vis was usually in the 30 to 40 ft. range and there was a lot of great flora and fauna to look at and play with. Whale and dolphin watching was thrown in for free. The crew on the Truth was great, very helpful to a me, still a fairly new diver. A lot of the dives were in kelp, which, thankfully is no longer a scary prospect for me. My first dive after being certified was in kelp and I had a bit of a freak out experience and was nervous about it for a while but am now much more comfortable. I saw lots of very colorful nudibranchs, sea anemone, urchins, sea lions, and my favorite sighting, a bat ray that was missing its tail. The weather was sunny and not too cold. Most were wearing dry suits but I was warm in my 7 ml wetsuit for all but one dive. A bit of surf but nothing to tire you out.

I also went on a 3 day trip on the Vision (another Truth Aquatics boat, bigger than the Truth) in late October, with most of the dives off of San Miguel. Another great trip!

I'm sure you'll have a terrific time.

Lisa:kitty:

Back
Top Bottom